Dining Out: Where would you go?

Look at it this way:  the vax resistant have a huge media machine (formal and informal) intent on feeding them lies about serious side-effects of the vaccine.  Even if they're not frothing-at-the-mouth anti-vaxxers, they don't view the vaccine as necessarily being cost-free.

Given that, why would they get vaccinated if they weren't presented with serious upsides to counteract the downsides that're being fed to them?

• Like 1
  • Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A good summary from El País:   https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-10-28/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-the-coronavirus-is-spread-through-the-air.html?ssm=TW_CC

At one restaurant, we picked the fennel flowers from the planter next to us and used them on our fried anchovies. Can't do that indoors!

I don’t want to leave because I think somewhere else would be “nice”. I want to leave because I think American Death Capitalism is malicious and evil. 

Posted Images

My immediate reaction to the "everybody welcome" posture is wondering what behind the scenes dismissal of Covid prescriptions are they exercising.   Masks?  Scrupulous employee health standards, i.e., DO NOT COME TO WORK IF YOU ARE FEELING ILL.  (I remember back when I would send home an employee who was obviously coming down with or had something.   I'd then call for a sub, and HR would go ballistic.   "You can't DO that!"    And time after time I'd explain that it's better to lose one person today than 6 in several days.)

I was very surprised not to be asked for proof before entering the Met on Saturday. They can surely staff the job. They used to have several people on the door armed with those temperature guns.

Restaurants and bars I’ve visited recently are checking. To Joe’s point, it’s good to sit down and unmask in a room full of vaccinated people.

25 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

I was very surprised not to be asked for proof before entering the Met on Saturday

I don't think it was "enforced" until yesterday. It was theoretically required, however...

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/13/us/new-york-vaccine-passport/index.html

Since August 17, the city has required that people age 12 and older show proof they have had at least one Covid-19 vaccine dose for indoor dining, indoor fitness activities and indoor entertainment, including movie theaters, concert venues, museums and sports arenas. Enforcement of those rules began on Monday, the city said.

15 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Given that, why would they get vaccinated if they weren't presented with serious upsides to counteract the downsides that're being fed to them?

That's a nice theory but it just doesn't work. Here's the daily number of shots in nyc since the beginning of vaxxing. You can see a very small increase (5k/day) after the city worker mandates were announced. Seems like you need to increase the upside by about 20 times to reach the levels of vaccination that the city is capable of delivering. 

image.thumb.png.f517ae8e9eb699586654d591419e10e6.png