Dining Out: Where would you go?

I HATE Resy, No matter how many times I correct the app, it defaults to showing me restaurants for NYC. Which was the first place I ever used Resy for. It's got all my pertinent info, and location services enabled. I have basically given up on it and gone back to calling.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At one restaurant, we picked the fennel flowers from the planter next to us and used them on our fried anchovies. Can't do that indoors!

A good summary from El País:   https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-10-28/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-the-coronavirus-is-spread-through-the-air.html?ssm=TW_CC

I don’t want to leave because I think somewhere else would be “nice”. I want to leave because I think American Death Capitalism is malicious and evil. 

Posted Images

While online res are convenient, I always think that talking to a person creates, even if marginal, a small connection.   In some cases, the attitude of reception has even made me make a different choice of table.  

The problem is that at almost every place I go you can't do that anymore.

Most don't list a phone number.  You couldn't call them if you wanted to.

Those that do list a phone number, don't pick up.  There's no one with the time or availability to do so.

Those that pick up will direct you to their online reservations service to make a reservation.

I've made reservations IN PERSON at restaurants where the host merely input the info into the reservations app.  Which makes sense:  participating restaurants don't keep books anymore; to consolidate their reservations, it would all have to be input into the app in any event.

• Like 1

And I might as well admit it:  although initially I hated online reservations for lacking exactly the things voyager describes, I've come to prefer them.  Sure, I lose the ability to schmooze my way into a table that would otherwise not have been given to me.  But OTOH, I'm freed of the obligation to fucking schmooze.

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

Finally, Resy texts me all the time to tell me about my upcoming reservations. But if I select the Notify option, what I get is an email telling me a table is available, and by the time I have checked my emails the table has gone. I cannot figure that out.

I had that problem as well. You need to have the app if you don’t, and make sure all notifications are activated for it in your phone’s settings. Then it’ll pop up a message which will take you right to the reservation page when tables open. 

It's nice that they're killing the android app altogether. 

I suspect some restaurants are now holding tables back until after the cancellation fee deadline.

On 10/19/2021 at 12:11 AM, Seth Gordon said:

I had that problem as well. You need to have the app if you don’t, and make sure all notifications are activated for it in your phone’s settings. Then it’ll pop up a message which will take you right to the reservation page when tables open. 

Thanks for this.

I realize there has always been a fair amount of discussion (fairly, for that matter) about dining out, and what we can cook at home, which might not exactly equal what we're served in a restaurant, but with the high quality product available to we home cooks, can come close.

Here's how we might come even closer, after Eater reveals the 13 best places to eat out of a can...

13 Places to Crack Open Tinned Seafood in NYC

I can pretty much guarantee that I can do this at home! Maybe even better, with more comfortable surroundings, than in any one of these places.

I think I figured out where I draw the line. Yes, it’s fine to pay someone to make a martini for me, even though I can do it myself. No, it is not fine to pay for someone to open a can for me.