Dining Out: Where would you go?

Maiden Lane and Huertas I know, of course, but didn't realize there were so many other places.

I know I am nit-picky, but you don't want to "crack open tinned seafood" at Formaggio, although you can certainly buy it there. In the context of this list it sounds like they might have somewhere you can eat what you buy.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At one restaurant, we picked the fennel flowers from the planter next to us and used them on our fried anchovies. Can't do that indoors!

A good summary from El País:   https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-10-28/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-the-coronavirus-is-spread-through-the-air.html?ssm=TW_CC

I don’t want to leave because I think somewhere else would be “nice”. I want to leave because I think American Death Capitalism is malicious and evil. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Wilfrid said:

it sounds like they might have somewhere you can eat what you buy.

Formaggio doesn’t have its own seating area, but there are lots of places in Essex Market to eat what you purchase. 

I assumed the seating was for specific vendors, but I may be wrong. There might be other places on the list that don't accommodate diners too -- Teitel Brothers? I think the set-up is a bit misleading:

From restaurants-gone-retail to Spanish tapas bars, some of the top spots in NYC to find tinned seafood

The only time we’ve ever had something served to us in a can were sardines, at the reopened Pastis. I definitely did not mind since I rarely buy sardines at home and never those imported ones; the can was totally open, not just partially rolled back; they were delicious; and it was comped by Susan Lee who knows us from several previous restaurants. (She works for Steven Starr’s company and was there overseeing the reopening.  The next time we saw her was at Veronika, overseeing that opening, where she gave us the”royal” treatment.)

Open cans of cote basque seafood are frequently offered with drinks here.     Appropriate wines.   Recently a dinner guest brought 3 cans of very special fish instead of wine.   Stories exchanged.  Nice.

4 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

I assumed the seating was for specific vendors, but I may be wrong.

Some places (Nordic Preserves, Top Hops) have their own seating. And there are also food court style tables upstairs and down in the Market Line. I thought the Eater piece had a misleading title, but the body was pretty clear about market vs restaurant.