Dining Out: Where would you go?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A good summary from El País:   https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-10-28/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-the-coronavirus-is-spread-through-the-air.html?ssm=TW_CC

I don’t want to leave because I think somewhere else would be “nice”. I want to leave because I think American Death Capitalism is malicious and evil. 

At one restaurant, we picked the fennel flowers from the planter next to us and used them on our fried anchovies. Can't do that indoors!

Posted Images

@Sneakeater  

1 hour ago, Sneakeater said:

if you're a solo diner, you will probably get seated in the backyard not at a table, but on a bench with a nearby shelf on which you can put your food when you're not eating it.  So you will essentially be eating off your lap.

Whoever thought this would fly?    I can't even handle ''let's take our Banh Mi to a romantic little park" in Paris.  

As you might have noticed, I pretty much think this outdoor dining stuff is mostly a mug's game.

We're getting told it's our responsibility as consumers to "support" the decimated restaurant industry.  But nobody's "supporting" us.  Why should I pay full restaurant prices -- and then some:  now the City is leveraging consumers even more by instituting restaurant "relief" in the form of a permissible 10% surcharge -- to eat off my lap?  Relief should come in a coordinated way from the government, not in a slapdash way that's unequally distributed by definition from individual consumers who have their own similar problems.  This is an insane way to run a country.  It's enough to make you move to Portugal.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Sneakeater said:

As you might have noticed, I pretty much think this outdoor dining stuff is mostly a mug's game.

We're getting told it's our responsibility as consumers to "support" the decimated restaurant industry.  But nobody's "supporting" us.  Why should I pay full restaurant prices -- and then some:  now the City is leveraging consumers even more by instituting restaurant "relief" in the form of a permissible 10% surcharge -- to eat off my lap?  Relief should come in an organized unified way from the government, not in a slapdash way that's unequally distributed by definition from individual consumers who have their own similar problems.  This is an insane way to run a country.  It's enough to make you move to Portugal.

Unfortunately they still won't let us into their country.....

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

We're getting told it's our responsibility as consumers to "support" the decimated restaurant industry.  But nobody's "supporting" us.  Why should I pay full restaurant prices -- and then some:  now the City is leveraging consumers even more by instituting restaurant "relief" in the form of a permissible 10% surcharge -- to eat off my lap?  Relief should come in a coordinated way from the government, not in a slapdash way that's unequally distributed by definition from individual consumers who have their own similar problems.  This is an insane way to run a country.  It's enough to make you move to Portugal.

Okay, this'll sound harsher than I mean it to, but I'm of the mind that the government has, and is gonna have, quite a few more important places to institute relief.   And I'd rather they do those things.   Frankly, I think that much of the restaurant biz has been a "mug's game" long before COVID or outdoor dining and that we chose to support it & continue to do so.  I don't see why taxpayer funds should be prioritized to keep us from putting more into the pot when there won't be enough government funds available to do more important things.  We can (& probably will) kick in another 10% just to keep our way of life going, you with lap dining and me with eating dishes in reverse order and smiling thru it (I assume you saw my previous post upthread?).  Its what we do (as is bitching and moaning about it).  I'm sure they do it in Portugal as well.