Dining Out: Where would you go?

I'm inclined to agree with Steve that COVID exposed and accelerated serious problems in the restaurant business which already existed.

Pre-COVID, we had restaurants going through all kinds of manoeuvres to be able to serve food at prices consumers would pay: smaller portions (Colicchio), parts of the animal previously discarded, small plates (because people will pay more for two small plates than one entree). And they still couldn't pay a decent wage to the staff. It was going to break down eventually anyway.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A good summary from El País:   https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-10-28/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-the-coronavirus-is-spread-through-the-air.html?ssm=TW_CC

I don’t want to leave because I think somewhere else would be “nice”. I want to leave because I think American Death Capitalism is malicious and evil. 

At one restaurant, we picked the fennel flowers from the planter next to us and used them on our fried anchovies. Can't do that indoors!

Posted Images

I mean we've rehashed again and again and again - the issue is commercial real estate pricing. 

Have the relative wages of restaurant employees gone down nationally over the last 30 years? I legitmately don't know the answer, but I have to believe as a business it was never paying a decent wage.  

9 hours ago, Steve R. said:

I'm sorry, did you just use "moral justification" and "government" in the same sentence?

To be fair (well, sort of) the government did get dealt a pretty awful hand at a time when those running it (on almost every level) were the least likely folks to be able to handle it professionally

I'm sorry, did you just use "government" and "professionally" in the same sentence?

7 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

I'm inclined to agree with Steve that COVID exposed and accelerated serious problems in the restaurant business which already existed.

Pre-COVID, we had restaurants going through all kinds of manoeuvres to be able to serve food at prices consumers would pay: smaller portions (Colicchio), parts of the animal previously discarded, small plates (because people will pay more for two small plates than one entree). And they still couldn't pay a decent wage to the staff. It was going to break down eventually anyway.

But the issue I was raising is whether we as consumers have an obligation to pay inflated prices for deflated product in order to delay the final breakdown.

I don't see it.  I think this whole "support the industry" drive, where paying more for less (with no suggestion that the premium is going toward adequate wages for workers — and the industry in fact opposing measures that would promote that) is presented as our doing a solid, is disgusting.  As you said, the breakdown is coming anyway.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

But the issue I was raising is whether we as consumers have an obligation to pay inflated prices for deflated product in order to delay the final breakdown.

I don't see it.  I think this whole "support the industry" drive, where paying more for less (with no suggestion that the premium is going toward adequate wages for workers — and the industry in fact opposing measures that would promote that) is presented as our doing a solid, is disgusting.  As you said, the breakdown is coming anyway.

No we don't have an "obligation".... but many have been willing to do so for a # of years now, regardless.  However, in the hierarchy of who should step in (if anyone), I'd rather the government not & that the industry try to get more from us.  That's what I was reacting to in your original post.  At least then the consumers will have a direct voice and decide.  The government has more pressing places to put our tax money.  I'll decide which place(s) is/are worth my additional $$ and, given how we're all talking, lots of folding is gonna happen.

I don't give a fuck about restaurant capital. Why should you? That capital will be recycled into new restaurants when this is over.   Your subpar meal at full prices is really a hand out to CRE landlords who wont need to reprice their lease book.

(the problem is the state fucking up supporting labor. but I'll drop that point here)