White Torrone

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh, and this is where the royal icing went:  

15 years later, I tried again.  This time using Bruno's recipe.*    Much better result, but still not right.  I was going for soft torrone, but the nougat was too soft -- more like a thick chewy marsh

I've had my Ankersrum since March, when we went into lockdown. I love it.  Absolutely unbeatable for bread, including bagel dough which is usually really brutal for other machines. I did a few co

Posted Images

I'm sure they use some invert sugar, but the rest is just a question of time and temperature while mixing. 

I'm guessing that pouring the nougat into a square frame with the rice paper or starch wafer on the bottom will help with the crumpling. 

6 minutes ago, Orik said:

I'm sure they use some invert sugar, but the rest is just a question of time and temperature while mixing. 

I'm guessing that pouring the nougat into a square frame with the rice paper or starch wafer on the bottom will help with the crumpling. 

Yes, indeed...as well as some starches...here's one ingredient list...

Almonds 40%, Sugar, Glucose Syrup, Honey, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Wafers (Potato Starch, Water, Olive Oil), Egg White Powder, Natural Lemon Flavoring, Maize Starch.

That's pretty much what I use:  Sugar, Honey, Corn Syrup (maybe theirs has more fructose), Egg Whites. I'm guessing they use the corn starch with the rice paper to prevent sticking.  I'm going to try a higher heat next time.  I might need to upgrade to the 7 qt mixer.  My 6 qt strains quite a bit.  Or maybe I'll get me an Ankarsrum.

I've had my Ankersrum since March, when we went into lockdown. I love it. 

Absolutely unbeatable for bread, including bagel dough which is usually really brutal for other machines. I did a few cookie doughs with it too this month and it worked really well for me. The mixed reviews sounded like they were using super cold butter. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Behemoth said:

I've had my Ankersrum since March, when we went into lockdown. I love it. 

Absolutely unbeatable for bread, including bagel dough which is usually really brutal for other machines. I did a few cookie doughs with it too this month and it worked really well for me. The mixed reviews sounded like they were using super cold butter. 

Awesome! The cold butter may have been it; how does it work with small batch sizes?

You know what? I need to make a little bit of royal icing today, will report.

Cookie game 2020 (so far...) clockwise from top: 

- Spitzbuben, basically shortbread sandwich filled with (covid self-homesteaded) apricot jam, 

- Danish "braune Kuchen" -- an old recipe from my SIL, made with funky leaveners like hartshorn and potash. 

- chocolate/coffee/black pepper drops 

- spicy gingerbread cookies 

- Vanillekipferl -- almond crescents with vanilla sugar 

BB4F6A81-97E8-48B0-A5D4-725453317E93.JPG.fd9575e0eb5424a1fdcfab73140f725c.JPG

• Like 1

Sure, it's from a German magazine from a few years ago, clearly a keeper.  🙂

200g flour

100g cocoa powder 

1/4 tsp salt 

1/4 tsp ground black pepper

1 heaping tbsp. instant coffee powder (I used espresso powder) 

180g butter, softened

200g sugar

1 egg

---

More black pepper

About 200g dark chocolate couverture (I just used whatever 70% I had on hand) 

---

Mix cocoa, salt, pepper and coffee powder in a bowl. In another cream butter and sugar, add egg, and then dry ingredients. mix until smooth. Form dough into flat packet & wrap with plastic, keep in fridge for at least 1 hour. 

Preheat oven to 180°C. (355-ish° F) Cover 2 sheet pans with parchment. From the dough scoop out 1 tsp (I actually used a knife and made them on the small side), roll into a ball and place on the cookie sheets. Bake approx. 8 minutes. While still warm grind black paper over. 

Melt the chocolate (I melted, let cool slightly, and reheated gently to temper.) Dip the cooled cookies halfway into the chocolate. Let dry on parchment until chocolate is firm. Store airtight. 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Behemoth said:

You know what? I need to make a little bit of royal icing today, will report.

So I can officially report that it works fine. I did icing with the equivalent of one egg white and slightly more than a cup of powdered sugar. The beaters missed a little bit of the sugar on the inside shoulder of the center of the bowl so I had to tap it a little, but otherwise worked fine. I didn't sift the sugar. 

That said, I would normally just break out the hand beaters and a small bowl for this as it takes up less space in the dishwasher afterwards. Although the sugar would fly around a bit, which would also be slightly annoying, so...

• Like 1