NYC food in the movies

I received this e-mail from the Gotham Center:

Presenting the latest program in our History Forum series:

New York Food on Film

A program about New York City food and foodways

April 27, 6:30 p.m.-Proshansky Auditorium

Annie Hauck-Lawson, Brooklyn College, will be your server for this presentation of New York Food on Film with a side of commentary from guests related to the various film topics. The conversation will be spiced with clips from documentaries on hot dogs, pickles, Italian bread, and more!

The following films will be shown:

· Tony DeNonno’s Part of Your Loving (1977)

· John Alpert’s The Last Pickleman

Clips will be shown from the following films:

· Robert Maass’s Gotham Fish Tales (2003)

· Noelle Dawn Smith’s Dog Days (1999)

· Marcia Rock’s McSorley's New York (1987)

Plus a special sneak preview of “What’s for Lunch?” a forthcoming documentary from the New York Food Museum and D-Squared Media about school lunch in New York City public schools.

The History Forum showcases the best new work on New York City history. Presentations by, and conversations with, historians and history makers are moderated by Mike Wallace, Director, Gotham Center for NYC History and Pulitzer Prize-winning co-author of Gotham: A History of New York City to 1898.

For more information: 212-817-8474 or www.gothamcenter.org

Forums take place at the CUNY-Graduate Center, 365 Fifth Avenue @ 34th Street.

Registration required. To register: call 212-817-8215 or email continuinged@gc.cuny.edu. Reservations will be honored until 6:25 p.m.

---

How's about I hijack Lippy's thread and ask for your favorite food scenes in films about New York?

Dyan Cannon getting drunk at The Gingerman and walking into traffic when she finds out what her husband's been up to in "Such Good Friends."

Burt Lancaster and Tony Curtis eating, drinking and smoking ("Match me, Sidney") in "Sweet Smell of Success."

The waiter at Elaine's whispering "courage" in Italian to the late Carrie Snodgress who is being tortured by Richard Benjamin in "Diary of a Mad Housewife."

What are your favorites, folks?

Those scenes were filmed in the 21 Club, right?

I seem to recall the famous round bar, which would make them shot inside Toot's'.

edit: Toots made an appearance in the film also.

doubledit: The building which housed Toot's has been demolished for a skyscraper.

Sad, sad. But my memory suggests we are at cross purposes. The interior bar scenes with the round bar - I'll take your word for it that it's Toots (never went, before my time). I was thinking of the place Hunsecker was holding court at the table - "Match me, Sidney" - that's 21. So we're both sort of right.

An extra point for knowing that Ray Milland gets plastered in PJ Clarke's in The Lost Weekend. And of course, scenes from Raging Bull were filmed in Jimmy's Corner, that blessed patch of ground.

Sad, sad. But my memory suggests we are at cross purposes. The interior bar scenes with the round bar - I'll take your word for it that it's Toots (never went, before my time).

I used to work there (not Toots, a later incarnation). The owners kept the round bar. My very first restaurant job of any kind ca.1978. Great bartender name of "Buzzy". used to fly DC3s over the "hump" to supply the troops in Burma during WWII. Regaled us puppies with stories of same and old NY society. Made me my first Pink Gin and Bullshot. Made this ignorant Brooklyn punk realize that there was more to a cocktail than a Harvey Wallbanger.

Sorry to spurt. You nicked a vein. :)

Sorry to spurt.

More, please. My first job in NYC was for TV Guide, writing those little blurbs for programs on the odd-numbered local stations. Our office was on 51st and 6th and we used to eat at Toots Shor often, on our expense account. The food was not memorable. Toots was still alive, but not very active. I used to drink Black Russians.