it's plenty of time to use up the small ziplock bag of curry leaves sold at indian groceries. if you're not cooking south indian food often enough to do that then delete your account.

That went off the rails pretty quick; I should've never asked (paging Hyman Roth) about dried curry leaves.

@mongo_jones you'll be happy to know I just spent what I might have spent for dinner out (hah!) on replenishing, replacing and adding to my spice drawer, with spices/dried chilies/etc. used in the recipes on your annoying blog. But no dried curry leaves.

Rather than feeling cooking a calling, for me it was more like being drafted.   I learned to cook because we couldn't afford to eat out at the level we appreciated.    I have never liked to cook, hate prep work and have no patience to attend a pan on the stove.    But I like good food and love to feed people.   From my mental notebook:.

Recipes serve the purpose of allowing consistent results.   From my perspective, they provide instruction for various processes that one can extract and use with infinite ingredients.     Cooking to me is ingredients + process.   It's about combining what you have.  

It comes from THINKING ABOUT FOOD.    Pondering how several ingredients would work together.   About different ways of using an ingredient.   About juxtaposition of flavors and textures. 

Authenticity is not part of my consideration.  Authenticity to me is respect for an area and its indigenous produce.    Noma, The Sportsman, Etxebarri, Manresa come to mind.    Authenticity in home cooking is as varied as the number of households/grandmothers.   Each is authentic while not necessarily representative.   

5 hours ago, voyager said:

Rather than feeling cooking a calling, for me it was more like being drafted.   I learned to cook because we couldn't afford to eat out at the level we appreciated.    I have never liked to cook, hate prep work and have no patience to attend a pan on the stove.    But I like good food . . . .

YO YO YO