• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I asked you in another thread if you enjoy eating this food. Your answer was basically no, but there was a lot going on in your life (don't have time to look for the posts right now). I understand you

It's just too easy to tear this stuff apart for it to be fun, Daniel, but I salute your efforts to be better. 

cuillère à soupe lost in xlation? 😄 I find that all sorts of very slow roasted turnips, kohlrabi, etc. make excellent stock.

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, Orik said:

It's just too easy to tear this stuff apart for it to be fun, Daniel, but I salute your efforts to be better. 

you did not present that in the form of a question but, I will accept your answer. 

Not that interested in a discussion about the politics of veganism (and I don't think you can be a vegan and not be making a religious or political statement).

I am interested in how you worked through the transition from omnivorous to vegan in your personal cooking (as opposed to the restaurant). Do you find yourself making facsimiles of dishes that contain meat/dairy because of familiarity? Or do you start with recipes that are vegan and then jump off from there?

44 minutes ago, bloviatrix said:

How are you going to manage when you start traveling to China again?

Honestly missing meals at Foxface and China are my two regrets.  But, China has Buddhist cuisine. 

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

The main interesting thing I have noticed about the omnivour home cooks plate for the most part is, how simple the cooking is.. You will normally start with a piece of meat.. And that is the star of the show.. That's where all the money, effort and planning went into it.. Then, you will see some scattered vegetable.. It was really a second thought.. It's either microwaved, or cooked in too much oil on a flat top with that gross oil charred thing going on..  There may be some salt and lemon on it and it's like cast off to the side, hiding in the corner, not touching the meat.. It happens all the time.. Expensive piece of protein, scattered random, unloved vegetable.. Then a usually a grain/starch/carb with it.. Again, not really worried about, hanging out with the veg..  Slightly more prominent and considered but, second fiddle to the protein for sure.  Some white rice, maybe a grain that is not really taken care of, maybe a roll, with butter or a potato.   And that's your western style dinner. 

Yeah, too bad none of us here can cook.

Thankfully, we have you.  Maybe some day I can borrow your microwave?!

On 11/4/2020 at 5:42 PM, joethefoodie said:

Yeah, too bad none of us here can cook.

Thankfully, we have you.  Maybe some day I can borrow your microwave?!

ASK ME SOMETHING 

55 minutes ago, Orik said:
55 minutes ago, Orik said:

Millions. 

True, was thinking our diet is the product of thousands of years of civilization but, man has had controlled fire for about a million years. Until they find evidence saying longer 

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Dude, you read my whole long thing and made it about me insulting you and the board? 
I am not speaking about a board of highly skilled and passionate cooks. I’m speaking in generalizations.  If I offended you, that was my not my intention as I was not referring to you or anyone I can think of here.  I was saying, money and most effort is put into a protein and the vegetables are secondary.  
Many Americans throw a birds eye vegetable medley into the microwave and call it a day.  I didn’t realize this would be controversial.  Also I don’t own a microwave. 🙂

I guess it would be considered political to suggest we're differentiating between us and them.

I asked you in another thread if you enjoy eating this food. Your answer was basically no, but there was a lot going on in your life (don't have time to look for the posts right now). I understand you want to make the world a better place. And I applaud that. But, may I just say, if this doesn't give you pleasure, find other ways to make the world better. Life is too short not to be enjoyed.

• Like 3

I remember when you asked. I was definitely in a shitty mood and not happy in general that week.  
i definitely am enjoying myself at this point.  So much so, I gained like 3 or 4 pounds this month.  The food out remains to be a let down for the most part.

I stopped at Bangkok Grocery Center Today and bought 2 huge bags of products.  Lots of surprising vegan things. Very excited

But it’s Covid so going out isn’t that awesome to begin with. I haven’t missed any 10 person parties at peter Luger’s.  

21 minutes ago, voyager said:

I guess it would be considered political to suggest we're differentiating between us and them.

Us and them in terms of your average American vs people who are passionate about cooking.