1 minute ago, Sneakeater said:

It’s not a great comparison cuz our collective culture and level of self-consciousness is infinitely more highly developed than our precursors’.   (Note that that’s not to say our BRAINS are more highly developed.)

Which, to be clear, can lead us to do some stupid things that early humans would never have done.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I asked you in another thread if you enjoy eating this food. Your answer was basically no, but there was a lot going on in your life (don't have time to look for the posts right now). I understand you

It's just too easy to tear this stuff apart for it to be fun, Daniel, but I salute your efforts to be better. 

Serious question for @Danieland I'm not trolling: How do you reconcile being a vegan for the reasons you mention and then selling meat and dairy in your stores? 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Sneakeater said:

Which, to be clear, can lead us to do some stupid things that early humans would never have done.

My father used to quote someone: The human is the only animal that can be taught to be stupid.    It was his caveat on child-rearing.

I guess my actual point is that it's a luxury to be able to eat something just because you like it, rather than because you are hungry, and it is food. And I have a hard time believing that early humans had that luxury. Plenty of current humans don't.

But if you're approaching the status of apex predator, and if you live in a fecund environment where there's PLENTY of food for you to pick off, you DO have that luxury.  And then genetics can help determine what you prefer to eat.

Current food scarcity is a function of one or more of the stupid things the early humans would never have done, like for instance Global Capitalism.

1 hour ago, Sneakeater said:

But if you're approaching the status of apex predator, and if you live in a fecund environment where there's PLENTY of food for you to pick off, you DO have that luxury.  And then genetics can help determine what you prefer to eat.

AND, moreover, if you're developing tools for hunting that most other species never even started to produce (probably they couldn't) and NO other species ever approached.  (See, tool development and use are the kind of things that are EASY for humans to see the benefit of and replicate:  they don't require fairly abstract analytic thinking over a long period of time like, "that guy cooked his food and he lived longer than most other people, so cooking food might make you live longer".)

1 hour ago, Sneakeater said:

And then genetics can help determine what you prefer to eat.

Apparently, since I'm having gefilte fish and potato kugel for dinner tonight.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Current food scarcity is a function of one or more of the stupid things the early humans would never have done, like for instance Global Capitalism.

Except for the fact that there's a huge excess of food I'd agree with that completely. 

Have we addressed time and place?    eg, California coastal natives lived rather well without much effort.    Tule elk, wild turkeys, fin fish and unlimited mollusks.   Maybe even some wild greens.   

Just one friendly eco-system.

No, we are saying (again! for the several-ish time!) that all we know is WHAT people ate, not WHY they ate it. No Yelp reviews or MFF posts survive from the period, AFAIK.

Did I LIKE the WPIX Top Ten Countdown, broadcast every night at 10pm? Not so much! But it was pretty much the only thing I could get on my Heathkit radio, so that's what I listened to. Which is why I still know all the words to this, a song you are unlikely to have heard anywhere but the WPIX Top Ten Countdown.

• Haha 1