Exactly.   I would further qualify, people who are passionate about eating.   How well you cook is an extension of how much food is important in your life.    Consuming interest in diverse flavors, textures, processes allows one to choose/thrive on any diet format, vegan, vegetarian, omnivore.   

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I asked you in another thread if you enjoy eating this food. Your answer was basically no, but there was a lot going on in your life (don't have time to look for the posts right now). I understand you

It's just too easy to tear this stuff apart for it to be fun, Daniel, but I salute your efforts to be better. 

Serious question for @Danieland I'm not trolling: How do you reconcile being a vegan for the reasons you mention and then selling meat and dairy in your stores? 

Posted Images

I am repeating myself, but if Daniel's argument was generally accepted it would be very bad news for livestock. Mass slaughter. 

Perhaps it would be good news for some wildlife, but most hunting would continue as the main aim is to control populations and preserve the environment.

1 hour ago, Wilfrid said:

I am repeating myself, but if Daniel's argument was generally accepted it would be very bad news for livestock. Mass slaughter. 

And to repeat myself, this slaughter occurs regularly as part of the livestock industry.    Curated breeding stock is a minor proportion of the population, most of which goes to slaughter seasonally, 

More correctly, it would be very bad news for livestock industry.  

1 hour ago, Wilfrid said:

Perhaps it would be good news for some wildlife, but most hunting would continue as the main aim is to control populations and preserve the environment.

It would certainly help the fish immediately.  However, there are 77 billion land animals killed a year... So, if we just did the whole cuba thing, not make any more, we can phase out the supply.

And then there will be no land animals because the ranches will be converted to soy fields. 

About the fish, every bluefin tuna eats 10% of its weight in fish every day of its 20 year life. The bluefin circling Japan eat more fish than all the Japanese people. Therefore a great way to help the fish is to kill off all the tuna as appealing to their reason just doesn't seem to help. (the Japanese are already dying off so that's fine) 

Don't even get me started on sharks. 

• Like 1

There is the law of unintended consequences, recently illustrated by Covid.    Protect people from the disease by limiting commerce which eliminates livelihood for hundreds of thousands.   Reopen them and people get sick.  

Stop eating animal products and crash ranching, fishing, dairy, processing, niche food services, bi-product manufacturing, distribution.   Acceptable as long as one realizes the extent of the new problems.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

so all of those illegally operating Chinese Fishing Boats are actually helping the world.. 

Right. In general if you take the approach that these are all "sentient" being then it makes no sense to preserve predators. Think how much better nature will be without the constant unnecessary torture and death. Humans who support having sharks, tigers, groupers, and praying mantises around clearly have no moral defense except they like death and torture that doesn't even result in delicious burgers. And you'll say it's unreasonable to apply what you think of as human ethical standards to other species because they're not really that kind of "sentient", but when you watch a pod of dolphins torturing fish or baby seals for sport and having a good laugh? why not put the assholes down?

4 hours ago, voyager said:

And to repeat myself, this slaughter occurs regularly as part of the livestock industry.    Curated breeding stock is a minor proportion of the population, most of which goes to slaughter seasonally, 

More correctly, it would be very bad news for livestock industry.  

I'm actually referring to the livestock, though. 4.4 million cattle were slaughtered in an attempt to stop BSE, but that would be a tea-party. Unless one supposes that governments would subsidize rearing animals as a hobby, the entire population of livestock would have to be slaughtered, and rapidly--no phasing out (why feed what you can't sell?*). I can imagine some cows being preserved in zoos, but there's no outcome to mass veganism which saves animals lives.

I know there are other arguments for veganism (environmental, for example), but I've never had a good explanation of how it helps animals.

*Plus what Orik said about converting the land to other use.

No I never think about how the animals feel.  Not apologizing for that. We all have our priorities. Livestock isn’t one of mine. 

That said I enjoy following your vegan journey. I don’t like meat “replacement” items like tofurkey or fake burgers but I do love the versatility of tofu and would appreciate recommendations (cookbooks or blogs) as to use it more often. 

5 hours ago, Meredith380 said:

I do love the versatility of tofu and would appreciate recommendations (cookbooks or blogs) as to use it more often. 

Recipe: 1 Johnny tofu, 1 tsp shiboritate soy, 1 tsp

Flip tofu onto plate, add soy, use tsp to eat. Avoid overly excited hand gestures as tofu might slip off plate.

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Meredith380 said:

No I never think about how the animals feel.  Not apologizing for that. We all have our priorities. Livestock isn’t one of mine. 

That said I enjoy following your vegan journey. I don’t like meat “replacement” items like tofurkey or fake burgers but I do love the versatility of tofu and would appreciate recommendations (cookbooks or blogs) as to use it more often. 

I understand that you do not care how animals feel.. Does that mean if you were to witness someone beating a dog, you would not care?  Like it wouldn't affect your day at all..  Then we are just going to say that we are fundamentally different..  I can't really recommend any cookbooks or blogs as I don't follow any.. The minimalist baker is a one I have come across.  But, that is really the only one I can recall.