Best Mouthfuls: Flatiron

I'm talking about Prime Time FRIDAY NIGHT. I looked in on almost every one of the places you guys are mentioning, and they were CLUSTERFUCKS. As you'd expect. (Aldea was too far west. I needed to be near the Lexington Ave. line.)

(Italienne's taverna seems to me to have a much less interesting menu than the dining room, BTW. But maybe I'm being unfair.)

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm talking about Prime Time FRIDAY NIGHT. I looked in on almost every one of the places you guys are mentioning, and they were CLUSTERFUCKS. As you'd expect. (Aldea was too far west. I needed to be near the Lexington Ave. line.)

(Italienne's taverna seems to me to have a much less interesting menu than the dining room, BTW. But maybe I'm being unfair.)

I find the bench outside of Bar Jamon to be perfect for times like this. The ham and cheese sandwich, wrapped to go, is incredible. A glass of sherry while they prepare it, maybe another while you're sitting on the bench..

Has anyone here been to Italienne? The FOH's partner is a friend of Mrs B but we are yet to visit.

I mentioned above that we've been to italienne's Taverna (twice). But we've also had a couple of wonderful dinners in the dining room. Are you referring to James King? He's a truly nice guy. The first time we went there right after they opened, we came in knowing Pastry Chef Rececca Isbell from her time at betony. Turned out, we also knew the service director Will Edwards from his stints at other restaurants. Jim came to our table to introduce himself and spent some time chatting with. Chef Jared Sippel also stopped by and we've since had the opportunity to speak with him at some length. So from the start, we've been considered friends of the house.

"Interesting" is entirely subjective, but I've sat in both rooms and the main difference is what you'd expect, that they save more of the fine dining fireworks for the back and the food's simpler up front. The taverna is comparable in spirit at least to Gramercy Tavern's tavern room, and executed with similar competence.