Best Mouthfuls: Flatiron

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it good? Is it a buffet place?

Dimple, of which I think the original is in Queens, is best known for its Indian street food, chats and bhels, which is quite unusual in NY. They have a vegetarian buffet at lunch, and individual curries available only in the evening, good to even very good, but otherwise unremarkable. It used to get heavy play on eGullet for the street food, and Suvir used to talk about it quite a bit. I've always liked it, but not fantastically. I recall that Orik was rather unhappy with his last reported visit.

i don't love the neighborhood for food, which is a shame since it's mine..

blt fish is the best newcomer i've been too, with the caveat that i've yet to hit Sapa, which is probably too fancy for here..

rickshaw dumpling has the distinction of having its opening pushed back multiple times, with more press prior to each opening.. hopefully, it'll live up to the hype..

shake shack is the best legal way to drink in the park.. their burgers are pretty good as well..

the great burrito has a nice authentic taco, although i've been hitting the new chipotle outlet more often of late..

maffei's has great grandma style slices, and a nice steam-table lunch option..

there's a brand new japanese fried chicken wing place on 17th between 6 and 7 that's under everyone's radar.. passed it the other day but haven't hit it yet.. maybe tonight..

via emilia for casual italian.. cash only.. basta pasta for something less traditional..

pain quotidien is the fall back boulangerie in the hood.. there's some tiny little place on 23rd near 5th that sells an americanized croissant that people love, but it really sucks..

scopa has one of the best tossed salad bars in the city, as well as offering some of the best italian sandwiches in the neighborhood.. the steak at their bar is a nice indulgence as well, although if you go too late on a weekend it's a fucking meat market..

whole foods is out of the zone.. we're looking at garden of eden as being the sole gourmet market within..

mizu for sushi.. not great, but the best we've got..

there's a jamba juice on 5th btw. 22 and 23 and a chipotle on 6th btw. 21 and 22..

gramercy tavern front room is nice and they have great bartenders, original drinks, and amazing spiced nuts..

11 madison park qualifies under the geographical boundaries.. again, nice bar.. good gougeres..

suenoes has nice mexican food, and great drinks, although i can't recall if it's just outside of the boundaries..

there's a brand new japanese fried chicken wing place on 17th between 6 and 7 that's under everyone's radar.. passed it the other day but haven't hit it yet.. maybe tonight..

Where is it exactly? I just did that whole block. (I'm addicted to browsing Housing Works for retro china)

Maybe worth mentioning Dimple, with suitable caveats.

Dimple: best filthy place for tasteless nuked Indian food.

You've been there more recently than I have, but I haven't seen anything close to this. I wonder if there are any additional opinions. I've always had the impression that their food was prepared fresh. The majority of their customers are Indian. The streetfood offerings are put together from the a steam table, as they would be on the street, and are served properly tepid, I don't believe that they've been nuked.

there's a brand new japanese fried chicken wing place on 17th between 6 and 7 that's under everyone's radar..  passed it the other day but haven't hit it yet..  maybe tonight..

Where is it exactly? I just did that whole block. (I'm addicted to browsing Housing Works for retro china)

i suck.. it's on 19th btw. 6 and 7, closer to 7.. south side of the street..

it's ok.. crispy fried non-battered wings coated with a teriyaki type of sauce and a sprinkling of sesame seeds..

there's a brand new japanese fried chicken wing place on 17th between 6 and 7 that's under everyone's radar..  passed it the other day but haven't hit it yet..  maybe tonight..

i suck.. it's on 19th btw. 6 and 7, closer to 7.. south side of the street..

it's ok.. crispy fried non-battered wings coated with a teriyaki type of sauce and a sprinkling of sesame seeds..

don't be silly, you do not suck :( Just because I never make any mistakes doesn't mean everyone has to live up to my accomplishments :( :(