Best Mouthfuls: Flatiron

Maybe worth mentioning Dimple, with suitable caveats.

Dimple: best filthy place for tasteless nuked Indian food.

You've been there more recently than I have, but I haven't seen anything close to this. I wonder if there are any additional opinions. I've always had the impression that their food was prepared fresh. The majority of their customers are Indian. The streetfood offerings are put together from the a steam table, as they would be on the street, and are served properly tepid, I don't believe that they've been nuked.

Let's see.

I wrote:

Assorted Appetizers - dough, slightly different dough, dough stuffed with potatoes, fried dough, something odd but tasty, dough (I suppose most of these were made from lentils). Served with poor tamarind and cilantro sauces. Heated in the microwave until texture was harmed just enough.

Lippy:

The second time, R and I were on our own, and the more typical meal we ordered was not nearly as successful. I think the trick here is to stick to the street food offerings.

and wingding (who can never be suspected of being unkind):

Downhill alert,I think.I went there a few times years ago,the simple chaat snacks were very good.My last visit was kind if dismal;my food got popped into a microwave,

It could have just been an off couple of months.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

This list does not include destination (reservation-needed) restaurants. Otherwise, additions and especially corrections welcome.

Sitting down mouthfuls

Best old-fashioned deli: Eisenberg's (matzoh ball soup, chopped liver sandwich). Best sushi: Mizu. Best lunch buffet: City Bakery. Best casual lunch: 'wichcraft. Best Mexican: Ixta. Best casual Indian (or Indian-fusion): Bread Bar at Tabla.

For cheese and wine, the bar at Artisanal.

Sweet mouthfuls

Best sandwich cookie & chocolate scone: 'wichcraft.

Standing up mouthfuls

Best hot dog: Mandler's (also try the chicken brat). Raw food snacks: Pure Food & Wine (the take-out section - what's the proper name?). Best Chicago-style burger and hot dog stand: Shake Shack. Sala for grilled veggie sandwich with romesco sauce. "Grandma-style" slice: Maffei's. Tacos: Grand Burrito; Chipotle. Scopa for the tossed salad bar and Italian sandwiches.

Thirsty mouthfuls

Best pub: The Old Town Bar. Best vintage cocktails: Flatiron Lounge.

Best hot chocolate and lemonade: City Bakery. Best juices and smoothies: Jamba Juice.

Shopping mouthfuls

The Union Square green market: stalls include High Hope Hogs (pork: look out for scrapple); Flying Pigs (pork); Windfall Farms (good but expensive baby greens; Hotalings (cider); the Korean stall selling kimchi and baby bok choi; Quattro (pheasant eggs); Body and Soul for sweet and savory vegan pastry products; Keith's (garlic); Samascott Orchards (apples) - note, not every vendor is there every day. Best bread: Pain Quotidien (in ABC). Best wine store: Union Square Wine. Best for tea and accessories: T Salon & T Emporium.

Anything else?

Park Avenue South is a meat market of a different kind on weekend evenings.

• 9 months later...

Revisions, changes, corrections please. And let's not overlook all those thrilling recent Park Ave South openings. :unsure:

Eisenberg's requires a caution after Omni's post. Anyone else tried it since it changed hands? 'wichcraft is gone, of course. It would be useful to get input from the market mavens as well.

Revisions, changes, corrections please. And let's not overlook all those thrilling recent Park Ave South openings. :unsure:

Eisenberg's requires a caution after Omni's post. Anyone else tried it since it changed hands? 'wichcraft is gone, of course. It would be useful to get input from the market mavens as well.

Deb and I dropped by the Flatiron Lounge last summer late on a Saturday afternoon. We wanted to like the place and it certainly looked the part. On the positive side the drinks were just fine. On the negative end the place was 1/3 full with twentysomething poseurs. (As opposed to the fortysomething poseurs I favor.)

I don't know whether the mix of patrons improves or deteriorates as the evening wears on. We've never been back.

I'd add Patches of Star, for goat meat and cheese to the Greenmarket section. And Cato corner for their absolutely wonderful cheeses, especially the Hooligan, and Eckert's for heirloom tomatoes, cherry tomatoes and chiles.

• 9 months later...

Update time for the 2007 Best Mouthfuls. Please especially note any closings. New additions welcome, but a reminder that we're not trying to list anywhere which is just pretty good, only "best" places you would actually recommend to people. Casual, take-out, hole-in-the-wall, food and drink shopping and any related novelties - but NOT destination/reservation mid-to-upscale restaurants. Why? It would be a huge amount of work, and wouldn't much help anyone who already has a Time Out guide or a Zagat.

I will try to pick up suggestions already made on the thread.

The current 2006 text follows:

FLATIRON

South side of 34th down to north side of 14th. West side of Park to East side of 7th.

Sitting down mouthfuls

Best sushi: Mizu. Best lunch buffet: City Bakery. Best casual lunch: 'wichcraft. Best Mexican: Ixta. Best casual Indian (or Indian-fusion): Bread Bar at Tabla. For cheese and wine, the bar at Artisanal.

Standing up mouthfuls

Best hot dog: Mandler's (also try the chicken brat). Raw food snacks: Pure Juice and Takeaway (just around the corner from mothership Pure Food & Wine. Best Chicago-style burger and hot dog stand: Shake Shack. Sala for grilled veggie sandwich with romesco sauce. "Grandma-style" slice: Maffei's. Tacos: Grand Burrito; Chipotle. Scopa for the tossed salad bar and Italian sandwiches.

Sweet mouthfuls

Best sandwich cookie & chocolate scone: 'wichcraft.

Thirsty mouthfuls

Best pub: The Old Town Bar. Best vintage cocktails: Flatiron Lounge.

Best hot chocolate and lemonade: City Bakery. Best juices and smoothies: Jamba Juice.

Shopping mouthfuls

The Union Square green market: stalls include High Hope Hogs (pork: look out for scrapple); Flying Pigs (pork); Windfall Farms (good but expensive baby greens; Hotalings (cider); the Korean stall selling kimchi and baby bok choi; Quattro (pheasant eggs); Body and Soul for sweet and savory vegan pastry products; Keith's (garlic); Samascott Orchards (apples); Patches of Star (goat meat and cheese); Eckert's (heirloon and cherry tomatoes, chilies); Sprout Creek (cheeses, especially Ourlay) and Cato Corner (cheeses, especially Hooligan) - note, not every vendor is there every day. Best bread: Pain Quotidien (in ABC). Best wine store: Union Square Wine. Best for tea and accessories: T Salon & T Emporium.

Anything else?

Park Avenue South is a meat market of a different kind on weekend evenings.

Being that USW is now not in Flatiron, perhaps Crossroads W&L on 14th near 6th would be the best in the area. scamhi may want to weigh in on this.

Friends don't let friend shop at Crossroads. They may have the hottest wine storage in the city. Which is a damn shame since they are incinerating a very interesting inventory of wines.

Walk down to Astor. Or drink beer.

Being that USW is now not in Flatiron, perhaps Crossroads W&L on 14th near 6th would be the best in the area. scamhi may want to weigh in on this.

Moore Bros, 33 East 20th Street. refrigerated store, not the cheapest- still less expensive than USQ Wines, nice tastings on Friday nights with decent glassware.