Best Mouthfuls: Flatiron

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This entry has been just getting slimmer. Anywhere else decent in the neighborhood to sit down for an informal bite? And 'wichcraft didn't re-open in this area, did it?

Also, could someone please glance at the Union Square vendors (as it now is in the pinned thread at the top of the forum) - let me know if any have gone. Ta.

Shopping mouthfuls

The Union Square green market: stalls include High Hope Hogs (pork: look out for scrapple); Flying Pigs (pork); Windfall Farms (good but expensive baby greens; Hotalings (cider); the Korean stall selling kimchi and baby bok choi; Quattro (pheasant eggs); Body and Soul for sweet and savory vegan pastry products; Keith's (garlic); Samascott Orchards (apples) - note, not every vendor is there every day. Best bread: Pain Quotidien (in ABC). Best wine store: Union Square Wine. Best for tea and accessories: T Salon & T Emporium.

T Salon has moved but still in Flatiron. http://www.tsalon.com/

Unclear whether website is saying this 26th St location is only temporary.

Shopping mouthfuls

The Union Square green market: stalls include High Hope Hogs (pork: look out for scrapple); Flying Pigs (pork); Windfall Farms (good but expensive baby greens; Hotalings (cider); the Korean stall selling kimchi and baby bok choi; Quattro (pheasant eggs); Body and Soul for sweet and savory vegan pastry products; Keith's (garlic); Samascott Orchards (apples) - note, not every vendor is there every day. Best bread: Pain Quotidien (in ABC). Best wine store: Union Square Wine. Best for tea and accessories: T Salon & T Emporium.

T Salon has moved but still in Flatiron. http://www.tsalon.com/

Unclear whether website is saying this 26th St location is only temporary.

I was under the impression that Miriam had purchased that building about 10 years ago. Maybe the value of it was just too great to pass up cashing in on. Before 20th Street she was in the spot Lure Fish Bar is currently in in Soho.

Now she's on the 4th Floor? I certainly hope it is an interim spot before she decamps for Chelsea Market.

Ennju. E 17th, between Broadway and 5th. Fresh, cheap Japanese fast food. Any of the "platter" items is enough for two people. Huge donburi, lovely udon. A good after-USGM spot.

Heartily agree. One of my favorite cheap eats places in the area. Their sushi's not bad for "fast food sushi"--second only to Chiyoda on 41st Street IMO.

I was under the impression that Miriam had purchased that building about 10 years ago. Maybe the value of it was just too great to pass up cashing in on. Before 20th Street she was in the spot Lure Fish Bar is currently in in Soho.

Now she's on the 4th Floor? I certainly hope it is an interim spot before she decamps for Chelsea Market.

Yep, the SoHo spot was where I first dscovered the shop. Then I wound up working on Fifth Ave about 2 blks away from the 20th St emporium. Spent a lot of $$ there & drank a lot of good tea.

Then my company moved downtown 18 months before 9/11 & everything went to hell.

Website says Chelsea Market = "next incarnation" but I'm not sure how precisely she's using the language. We shall see.

• 11 months later...
Update time for the 2007 Best Mouthfuls. Please especially note any closings. New additions welcome, but a reminder that we're not trying to list anywhere which is just pretty good, only "best" places you would actually recommend to people. Casual, take-out, hole-in-the-wall, food and drink shopping and any related novelties - but NOT destination/reservation mid-to-upscale restaurants. Why? It would be a huge amount of work, and wouldn't much help anyone who already has a Time Out guide or a Zagat.

Eh, encore.

Current Listings:

FLATIRON

South side of 34th down to north side of 14th. West side of Park to East side of 7th.

Sitting down mouthfuls

Best sushi: Mizu. Best lunch buffet: City Bakery. Best casual Indian (or Indian-fusion): Bread Bar at Tabla. For cheese and wine, the bar at Artisanal.

Standing up mouthfuls

Best hot dog: Mandler's (also try the chicken brat). Raw food snacks: Pure Juice and Takeaway (just around the corner from mothership Pure Food & Wine. Best Chicago-style burger and hot dog stand: Shake Shack. Sala for grilled veggie sandwich with romesco sauce. "Grandma-style" slice: Maffei's. Tacos: Grand Burrito; Chipotle.

Sweet mouthfuls

Best sandwich cookie & chocolate scone: 'wichcraft.

Thirsty mouthfuls

Best pub: The Old Town Bar. Best vintage cocktails: Flatiron Lounge.

Best hot chocolate and lemonade: City Bakery. Best juices and smoothies: Jamba Juice.

Shopping mouthfuls

Our Union Square green market picks: High Hope Hogs (pork: look out for scrapple); Flying Pigs (pork); Windfall Farms (good but expensive baby greens; Hotalings (cider); the Korean stall selling kimchi and baby bok choi; Quattro (pheasant eggs); Body and Soul for sweet and savory vegan pastry products; Keith's (garlic); Samascott Orchards (apples); Patches of Star (goat meat and cheese); Eckert's (heirloon and cherry tomatoes, chilies); Sprout Creek (cheeses, especially Ourlay) and Cato Corner (cheeses, especially Hooligan); Yuno for vegetables; Locust Grove for apples, quinces, stone fruits and grapes - note, not every vendor is there every day.

Best bread: Pain Quotidien (in ABC). Best wine store: Moore Bors. Best for tea and accessories: T Salon & T Emporium.

Anything else?

Park Avenue South is a meat market of a different kind on weekend evenings.