Best Mouthfuls: Flatiron

Can someone check the greenmarket details please?

The Union Square Greenmarket is listed under Flatiron? :unsure:

The definition of "Flatiron" in this thread is a bit funky. I don't recall any source that has it stretching as high as 34th Street. (I realize that doesn't answer your question, but had to make the comment....)

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I know comments about the boundaries are designed to be helpful, but I tend to be a bit unco-operative on this subject. We cover the whole of Manhattan, and the boundaries have been set for several years. We can't change the boundaries of the Flatiron without changing any neighboring area unaffected, and then moving listings back and forth accordingly. If it's important, we should do it, but the starting point is that someone needs to propose new boundaries.

I'll take account of the Greenmarket suggestions, and add Dogmatic Dogs as no-one objected. Markt too.

I can't comment on Wildwood, but Hill Country was still good when I went. Looking at some of the places we recommend in other neighborhoods, I find it hard to believe we'd really not send anyone there for barbecue. Opinions?

Silver Swan needs to come out, of course. We are really recommending Chipotle??

Pure Juice and Takeaway is now named after Sarma's tattoo. One Mucky Duck. Or was it Lucky Duck? I'll change that.

What else?

• 2 weeks later...

2009 draft: final corrections, typos, etc please.

FLATIRON

South side of 34th down to north side of 14th. West side of Park to East side of 7th.

Sitting down mouthfuls

Best BBQ: Hill Country. Best burger: Wolfgang's. Best sushi: Mizu. Best lunch buffet: City Bakery. Best casual Indian (or Indian-fusion): Bread Bar at Tabla. For cheese and wine, the bar at Artisanal. For fresh, cheap Japanese fast food, Ennju. For mussels, frites and Belgian beer: Markt.

Standing up mouthfuls

Best sausage sandwiches: Dogmatic Dogs. Raw food snacks: One Lucky Duck (just around the corner from mothership Pure Food & Wine). Best Chicago-style burger and hot dog stand: Shake Shack. Sala for grilled veggie sandwich with romesco sauce. "Grandma-style" slice: Maffei's. Tacos: Grand Burrito; Chipotle. Fancy sandwiches: 'wichcraft.

Sweet mouthfuls

Best sandwich cookie & chocolate scone: 'wichcraft. Best macarons and other French pastries: Madeleine Patisserie.

Thirsty mouthfuls

Best pub: The Old Town Bar. Best vintage cocktails: Flatiron Lounge. Best wine bars: Bar Jamon, Bar Stuzzichini (both have good light food too).

Best hot chocolate and lemonade: City Bakery. Best juices and smoothies: Jamba Juice.

Shopping mouthfuls

Our Union Square green market picks: High Hope Hogs (pork: look out for scrapple); Flying Pigs (pork); Windfall Farms (good but expensive baby greens; Hotalings (cider); the Korean stall selling kimchi and baby bok choi; Quattro (pheasant eggs); Body and Soul for sweet and savory vegan pastry products; Keith's (garlic); Samascott Orchards (apples); Patches of Star (goat meat and cheese); Eckerton Hill Farm (heirloon and cherry tomatoes, chilies); Sprout Creek (cheeses, especially Ourlay) and Cato Corner (cheeses, especially Hooligan); Yuno (vegetables); Berried Treasures (ramps in season, beans, potatoes); Locust Grove (apples, quinces, stone fruits and grapes); Quattro (duck eggs, smoked chicken, pheasant sausage); Three Corner Farm (lamb and cheeses); Dancing Ewe Farm for ricotta; Wild Hive Farm (bread, flour, grains) - note, not every vendor is there every day.

Best bread: Pain Quotidien (in ABC). Best wine store: Moore Bros. Best for tea and accessories: T Salon & T Emporium. General food shopping: Garden of Eden.

Anything else?

Park Avenue South is a meat market of a different kind on weekend evenings.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I seem to recall much discussion of Irving Mill here, but can't find a thread. I thought the place was okay; few agreed; the result is that we now have a lovely Brother Jimmy's BBQ in the space. Makes Batali's Italian wine store a step away look even more solemn and forbidding.

I seem to recall much discussion of Irving Mill here, but can't find a thread. I thought the place was okay; few agreed; the result is that we now have a lovely Brother Jimmy's BBQ in the space. Makes Batali's Italian wine store a step away look even more solemn and forbidding.

As I recall, it wasn't a small place, and if the food isn't stellar, there are lots of other places in the same genre. The first chef, John Schaefer, didn't last, and they brought in Ryan Skeen. 'Nuff said.

• 1 year later...

This is really more like Chelsea -- FIT district, anyway. A nameless halal buffet, which turned out to serve the food of Foutu Djallon (central Guinea). I thought it was going to be Indian, but no: completely different spicing. Goat, beef kidney, beef liver, rice, black-eyed peas, spinach with turmeric (judging by the yellow ooze), and hard, sweet cornbread.

You know, I kind of like it. $6 for big plateful.