This is our first year having to cook Thanksgiving dinner--I've never not been with my family before.  It's going to be the 2 of us plus N's best friend/writing coach whom she sees nearly every day, so he's basically part of our little bubble.  Menu is as follows:

• Heritage turkey that N is going to smoke in our grill/smoker
  • Cornbread & sausage stuffing
  • Cranberry-orange relish (Mom's recipe)
  • Something with the sweet potatoes--probably a simple roast with a little cinnamon & sugar (NO marshmallows)
  • Green bean casserole with our own mushroom soup
  • Apple crumb pie from a bakery in SF
  • Whatever N's friend brings
  • To drink: probably beer, as N's friend is not a wine guy.  I'm going to crack open the Barrel-Aged Old Rasputin XX with dessert.

My cousin set up a Zoom call for 2 PM our time, so we'll have a little bit of family time before we eat.

• Like 1
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My ambitious plan actually came together. Thanks, given. Wedge salad with blue cheese dressing, tomato bisque (not pictured), mac & cheese, Brussels sprouts slaw, mashed potatoes a la Robuchon (i.

i'm totally off the hook for the first time in almost 50 years. no turkey, no sweet potatoes, no cranberry sauce. i'm thinking short ribs and polenta 

I'm pivoting to partridge. I decided having as flavorful a bird as grouse on Thanksgiving would be highly untraditional.

Posted Images

Son and family will retreat to our weekend place during Thanksgiving week.   Son asked if you had to have turkey, could they have ham.   I told him that they should cook/eat what they wanted.

Husband and I will roast a chicken + mash + stuffing+ LOTS of gravy.    Always homemade rolls.    Probably a pumpkin pie.  

I am giving thanks this year that there will be no turkey.  

With likely only the four of us and maybe an inlaw if we can eat outside and lots of other life distractions sapping our energy decided to do takeout Thanksgiving for the first time ever. I'm sure the restaurants can use it as outdoor dining is basically done. 

I guess it’s time to start thinking of what to have for thanksgiving.  My favorite oyster stuffing off them menu. I always hated turkey. Pdutch potato filling, green beans and Swiss cheese casserole, oyster stuffing and gravy are all the things that come to the forefront.  

do I just cook a sort of feast or do I try to replicate the typical thanksgiving meal with various casseroles. 

So far, the plan is:

• Wedge salad with blue cheese dressing
  • tomato bisque
  • steamed Dungeness crab
  • mac & cheese (which is H's favorite thing that I make)
  • Brussels sprout slaw
  • mashed potatoes (which is H's second favorite thing that I make)
  • cranberry sauce from a jar
  • baguettes (which my dad always makes, so I figured I should, too)
  • copycat McDonald's hot apple (and also pumpkin, 'cause I have a can of it) pies

I have never attempted to make this many things that will all be ready more or less at the same time, so we'll see how THAT goes. I'm doing as much in advance as I can. Maybe I should learn Excel or something - I feel like I need a spreadsheet. Also, this looks like a lot of food for two people. Maybe the cat will help us out with the crab.

1 hour ago, small h said:

So far, the plan is:

• Wedge salad with blue cheese dressing
  • tomato bisque
  • steamed Dungeness crab
  • mac & cheese (which is H's favorite thing that I make)
  • Brussels sprout slaw
  • mashed potatoes (which is H's second favorite thing that I make)
  • cranberry sauce from a jar
  • baguettes (which my dad always makes, so I figured I should, too)
  • copycat McDonald's hot apple (and also pumpkin, 'cause I have a can of it) pies

I have never attempted to make this many things that will all be ready more or less at the same time, so we'll see how THAT goes. I'm doing as much in advance as I can. Maybe I should learn Excel or something - I feel like I need a spreadsheet. Also, this looks like a lot of food for two people. Maybe the cat will help us out with the crab.

I am in awe of your menu.    I've never ever tried to pull off such an ambitious meal.   If you do, do not worry about its simultaneous readiness.    Think of it as a continuum, a sequential feast.   Even over several days...