1156264882_Ricecookercongee11-14IMG_27822.thumb.jpeg.87028023038a227460e0a2b0619d5a20.jpeg

The new rice cooker makes lunch! After it let me know (by playing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star) it had finished cooking, stirred in blanched peas and carrots, along with a few pieces of raw halibut and 2 large scallops.  Closed it up for another 5 - 8 minutes, and...

556877674_Congee11-14IMG_2784.thumb.jpeg.218abfabea970e3a9ee250148a8fead4.jpeg

Seafood congee with scallop and halibut.  The "keep warm" function is a pretty perfect temperature for poaching fish.

The cooker certainly made this congee faster than my stovetop version. And it was delicious, lots of cracked pepper, some soy, some vinegar, scallions, ginger oil, etc.

I love this product...why was I living without one for so fucking long?

• Like 1
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For jasmine, I use 1 cup rice to 1 and a little (less than 1.25) cups water. I don't use the measurements on the rice pot, not even for short grain rice. My mother prefers drier rice, so she uses the

Actually, you really need rice skills. But, I use Japanese rice for: Onigiri! And seasoned as "sushi" rice: For Chirashi! No raw fish was harmed - the tuna was seared, obvio

For basmati (the how much) I followed instructions located on their web site  and in a few books/online, etc. To whit, their directions state: 2 cups (rice measuring cup) basmati rice  and 3

Posted Images

What kind of rice cooker did you get? My current Tiger is a step above basic, and was purchased in 1993 (my first purchase after my first paycheck after I moved to Japan), so I'm in the market for a new one. But I want a 5-cup model, and those seem harder to find at a reasonable price. 

4 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

They make mock. They may scoff. But we, @small h and @Evelyn, know better!

Frees up a burner. Frees up a timer. Frees up a brain. (And this morning, I made hot 5-grain cereal in it, with nary a thought.)

My son used to love his before he gave up rice due to mercury contamination.

It does take up a burner, but we have 6, so are seldom limited.    I never use a timer, nor much brain.    Put one cup of rice in 2 quart le creuset.   Add appropriate water for the kind of rice.   Bring to boil, stir rice with chopstick, cover, turn heat down to bare flicker.    Leave for about 15 minutes.    Fluff, let rest for another 5-10 or until wanted.    Always perfect.    Hey, it's RICE, not custard.

I use microwave for oatmeal and 5-grain.   Even simpler.   Put 1/2 cereal in soupplate, sprinkle with salt.,  Cover with water, stir with finger, nuke for 10 minutes.    (My nuker is ancient.)   Splash with heavy cream.    Yum. 

2 hours ago, prasantrin said:

What kind of rice cooker did you get? My current Tiger is a step above basic, and was purchased in 1993 (my first purchase after my first paycheck after I moved to Japan), so I'm in the market for a new one. But I want a 5-cup model, and those seem harder to find at a reasonable price. 

It's a Zojirushi - they make most of their models in 5.5 cup and 10 cup.

No microwave. 4 burners. Both beside the point with an appliance this talented.

3 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

It's a Zojirushi - they make most of their models in 5.5 cup and 10 cup.

No microwave. 4 burners. Both beside the point with an appliance this talented.

Totally understand and agree.    Your new pot sounds superb and is in the hands of an able maestro.

1 hour ago, joethefoodie said:

Because it's RICE, not custard, I shouldn't care about the quality of the finished dish?

Not at all.   It's just that rice has always been one of my few no-brainers.    No watch, no angst, no "bad rice".   In my case, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."    Have no problem with your panacea.   

5 hours ago, voyager said:

My son used to love his before he gave up rice due to mercury contamination.

It does take up a burner, but we have 6, so are seldom limited.    I never use a timer, nor much brain.    Put one cup of rice in 2 quart le creuset.   Add appropriate water for the kind of rice.   Bring to boil, stir rice with chopstick, cover, turn heat down to bare flicker.    Leave for about 15 minutes.    Fluff, let rest for another 5-10 or until wanted.    Always perfect.    Hey, it's RICE, not custard.

I use microwave for oatmeal and 5-grain.   Even simpler.   Put 1/2 cereal in soupplate, sprinkle with salt.,  Cover with water, stir with finger, nuke for 10 minutes.    (My nuker is ancient.)   Splash with heavy cream.    Yum. 

I thought it was arsenic contamination.

11 hours ago, voyager said:

Totally understand and agree.    Your new pot sounds superb and is in the hands of an able maestro.

Not at all.   It's just that rice has always been one of my few no-brainers.    No watch, no angst, no "bad rice".   In my case, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."    Have no problem with your panacea.   

Here's the thing - it's a no-brainer at a certain point. Like after it comes to a boil, and the heat is reduced to a barest minimum, and it's covered, and a timer is set. Sure.  

But let's say, like me, there's maybe a football game on, or an election result coming in. So the pot is on the stove over high heat - I run into the other room to see a TD scored, or an insane 1 minute of a speech from a president, and by the time I get back into the kitchen, shit is boiling over - rice essentially ruined.

Now, I have the Zoj. I put water, washed rice, arsenic, lead, mercury, maybe some salt, into the rice cooker. Close the lid. Press a button. Run into the other room to watch Tiger shoot a 10 on 12, see an insane 1 minute of a president's speech, and by the time I get back into the kitchen, my rice is done - perfectly.

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, Anthony Bonner said:

how do Rice Cookers do with things like basmati rice? 

My guess (haven't tried yet) is these fuzzy logic ones do pretty well. 

32 minutes ago, Orik said:

They play the funeral march when it's done.

Especially if you use Ganges River water.  Filtered, of course. (I still have to figure out how to change the Twinkle Twinkle tone to this one!)