Definitely not a rice expert but I rely on the proportions recommended on the package.  (I cut out cooking instructions from celo packaging and either tape onto or stuff into the container with the product.)    And I use the same measure for both grain and liquid. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For jasmine, I use 1 cup rice to 1 and a little (less than 1.25) cups water. I don't use the measurements on the rice pot, not even for short grain rice. My mother prefers drier rice, so she uses the

Actually, you really need rice skills. But, I use Japanese rice for: Onigiri! And seasoned as "sushi" rice: For Chirashi! No raw fish was harmed - the tuna was seared, obvio

For basmati (the how much) I followed instructions located on their web site  and in a few books/online, etc. To whit, their directions state: 2 cups (rice measuring cup) basmati rice  and 3

Posted Images

1 hour ago, small h said:

Thanks! Maybe I'll start weighing my rice. I should try to get more use out of my kitchen scale, since all I really use it for now is flour when I bake, and the cat's dry food.

Cat food for sure!  The "go" Japanese rice cup is 180ml, which comes out to 150 grams of short-grain, a nice round number. Too bad we're not all on the metric system (but you knew that water weighs a gram per milliliter).

42 minutes ago, voyager said:

Definitely not a rice expert but I rely on the proportions recommended on the package.  (I cut out cooking instructions from celo packaging and either tape onto or stuff into the container with the product.)    And I use the same measure for both grain and liquid. 

Which wouldn't work in a rice cooker.

1 hour ago, voyager said:

I don't understand.   Why wouldn't/couldn't you use consistent measure for grain and water?

These rice cookers do not allow for any evaporation of water, from the moment you fill with water and rice and close the lid. Which I think is the reason. And different types of rice (sushi, new crop, Jasmine, semi-milled brown, brown, medium-grain, long-grain Carolina, etc.) call for differing amounts of liquid. 

Certainly understand.   I have been saying that one should use a consistent measuring tool so that a cup of one thing can be compared to a similar measure of another.    As in “1 cup rice to 1.5 cups water” is referring to the same cup.   

You, joe, are saying that you cannot use packaging instructions with a rice cooker, that you have to use instructions particular to your machine?    Interesting.    How do you calibrate among varieties of rice and variations in brands?   

32 minutes ago, voyager said:

You, joe, are saying that you cannot use packaging instructions with a rice cooker, that you have to use instructions particular to your machine?    Interesting.    How do you calibrate among varieties of rice and variations in brands?   

Correct. Many rice packages, especially long-grain Carolina type rices, say 2 cups of water per 1 cup of rice. In these Zojirushi rice cookers, you would end up with sludge. 

These Zojurishi cookers we are using have lines on the inside of the pot the rice and water go into, which correspond to how many cups (the cups which came with the cookers) of rice you are cooking. You fill with water, after washing and draining and putting the rice in the cooking pot, up to the corresponding line for the type of rice you are cooking. Then u close the lid, press a button corresponding to the type of rice you are cooking, and you walk away. When it plays Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, the rice is done.

I stick with specific brands of rice for the different rices I use. I can’t imagine too much of a difference between brands, though it’s always adjustable, based on actual experience.

2 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

I think when small h said “the same measure” she meant 1:1, not the same cup.  But I’m as confused by all this as everybody else. 

You're just confused because you read the manual.

I'm sure that yellow thing makes good rice. The same rice. Every time. Of which I would grow fatigued.