35 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

I'm sure that yellow thing makes good rice. The same rice. Every time. Of which I would grow fatigued.

You just don't get what a seat of the pants cook I am.   We NEVER have the same thing twice, even when I TRY!    In fact, that's one of husband's chief gripes.    He will ask for something we had a week ago Tuesday...   ROTFL.  Possible only in his dreams!   

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For jasmine, I use 1 cup rice to 1 and a little (less than 1.25) cups water. I don't use the measurements on the rice pot, not even for short grain rice. My mother prefers drier rice, so she uses the

Actually, you really need rice skills. But, I use Japanese rice for: Onigiri! And seasoned as "sushi" rice: For Chirashi! No raw fish was harmed - the tuna was seared, obvio

For basmati (the how much) I followed instructions located on their web site  and in a few books/online, etc. To whit, their directions state: 2 cups (rice measuring cup) basmati rice  and 3

Posted Images

@prasantrin& @joethefoodie

1.  Of course I wash(ed) the rice before I cook(ed) it stovetop.  But my most likely inadequate washing method was to put the rice in a strainer and pass water through it (oops that came out wrong).  I never went through anything like the Zojirushi rinse/wash ritual.

2.  I've always made stovetop rice the exact same way that pras outlines.  So to me fluffing is not a new added step (oops that came out wrong).  And my rice cooker will keep reminding me at 10-minute intervals if I initially neglect to do it!  (No need:  I hear "Amaryllis" coming from the kitchen to signal the completion of cooking and I'm off like a shot.)

3.  Not having to be there to cut the heat the minute the rice comes to a boil is exactly the reason I bought a rice cooker.  But moving on to the end of the process, at least with a pressure-cooker model, I'm not sure that the cleaning part is much easier than washing a stovetop rice pot (especially if like me you're lazy and habitually leave the stovetop rice pot to soak overnight), since there are several parts you have to detach from the rice cooker and clean after each use.  Luckily, I find detaching the parts (and reattaching them after they dry) sort of fun.  Everything fits together so perfectly!

4.  I may try the "Quick" setting in the future.  But the first time out using this extremely expensive (to me, at least) piece of kitchen equipment, I didn't want to use any shortcuts.  I wanted to see what its good stuff is supposed to be.  (It was bad enough that I used long-grain rice.)

5.  I think the reason this unit is limited to rice (and steel-cut oats) is potential interference with the pressure function (which could, of course, cause an explosion).  As the instruction manual warns, "Do not cook foods such as applesauce, cranberries, pearl barley or other cereals, split peas, noodles, macaroni, rhubarb or spaghetti.  These foods tend to foam, froth, or splatter and may block the pressure release device."

23 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

(I hear "Amaryllis" coming from the kitchen to signal the completion of cooking and I'm off like a shot.)

I should note that I was pretty sure that I would find the "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" and "Amaryllis" prompts annoying and would replace them with beeps.

To my surprise, I find them adorable.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

And my rice cooker will keep reminding me at 10-minute intervals if I initially neglect to do it! 

Fuck, mine doesn't do this.

26 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

I think the reason this unit is limited to rice (and steel-cut oats) is the pressure function.  As the instruction manual warns, "Do not cook foods such as applesauce, cranberries, pearl barley or other cereals, split peas, noodles, macaroni, rhubarb or spaghetti.  These foods tend to foam, froth, or splatter and may block the pressure release device."

So you got the fancier one, and it does less? Not that I would ever deign to cook any of those things in a rice cooker.

It seems like the higher you go up their list, the narrower the cookers' focuses are.  As we now know, the cheapest model has a specific dedicated long-grain rice menu option!  (Whereas my model wouldn't stoop so low.)

(Right:  not that I'm looking to cook spaghetti in my rice cooker.)

Zojirushi claims that pressure-cooking makes rice that is better than usual leftover and reheated.  I can now confirm that that, at least, is true.  Even tonight's reheated leftovers from last night's trial run were noticeably better than my stovetop rice has ever been.

I reheated them on the stovetop (with a little water added, duh).   Although the unit has a "Reheat" function, the instruction manual makes it pretty clear that it is to be used to heat up rice that has been on "Keep Warm" in the unit for a while -- not rice that has been taken out and refrigerated.

5 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

It seems like the higher you go up their list, the narrower the cookers' focuses are.  As we now know, the cheapest model has a specific dedicated long-grain rice menu option!  (Whereas my model wouldn't stoop so low.)

(Right:  not that I'm looking to cook spaghetti in my rice cooker.)

I think it's apparent that Zojirushi's cheaper models are for people who want to make a broad range of rice and grains better than they have been on the stovetop, whereas the more expensive models are for real sushi fanatics.

I fall into the first group rather than the second -- so, I now realize, my use case is much closer to the cheaper models'.  I should have gotten one of those.  (A word to the wise to those still considering purchasing a rice cooker.)

But it's still kind of thrilling to own something as evidently high-quality as my model.

19 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Luckily, I find detaching the parts (and reattaching them after they dry) sort of fun.  Everything fits together so perfectly!

As someone said about one of their other products, it "comes apart into easily cleanable and clickable parts that I have found strangely satisfying to put back together."

I am a lazy rice washer, and I put the rice in the pot, add some water and swish it around, and drain it (not terribly well, as I just pour most of the water out and hope not too much rice goes with it). Then I add the water for cooking, and I cook the rice. But when I was growing up, we always repeated the above wash twice, for 3 washes in total. My mother still washes rice that way. By the 3rd time, the water, when poured out, is pretty clear. I'm not sure I can tell the difference between my mother's clean rice, and my sort of dirty rice, so I'm quite happy to continue with my energy conserving ways. (Conserving my own energy is just as important as any other kind of energy conservation).

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

I think it's apparent that Zojirushi's cheaper models are for people who want to make a broad range of rice and grains better than they have been on the stovetop, whereas the more expensive models are for real sushi fanatics.

I fall into the first group rather than the second -- so, I now realize, my use case is much closer to the cheaper models'.  I should have gotten one of those.  (A word to the wise to those still considering purchasing a rice cooker.)

But it's still kind of thrilling to own something as evidently high-quality as my model.

And I got one of the "middler" models (yet still possessing that quality of "Made in Japan"), which does a bang-up job (so far) on sushi rice, porridge, and yes, steel-cut oats and other breakfast hot cereals (soon I may load oats at night and see if it's really ready in the AM!). I do see, however, that it will need a tiny bit of tweaking for my Jasmine rice to come out a little better - not the unit's fault, but maybe the manual's fault for not suggesting a perfect amount of liquid? Or maybe the user's fault for not measuring correctly? Or maybe the rice's fault for being too fresh? Or maybe Jupiter and Saturn, for the first time in 400 years, are just too fucking close to each other?

By the way, you DON"T reheat rice in the combi oven on steam? It comes out great that way!

19 hours ago, voyager said:

You, joe, are saying that you cannot use packaging instructions with a rice cooker, that you have to use instructions particular to your machine?    Interesting.    How do you calibrate among varieties of rice and variations in brands?   

18 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

Correct. Many rice packages, especially long-grain Carolina type rices, say 2 cups of water per 1 cup of rice. 

I took down a Madhur Jaffrey book from my bookshelf this morning to check out some recipes. Early 1980's.

IMG_2874.jpeg.7cad1f199b9abaecc5502fcf8f0171e4.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Our NP-VC10-TA Induction Zojirushi cost $110 in Japan and I'm amazed to see that the current equivalent costs exactly twice as much here. Definitely too much, and I assume Sneak's pressure cooker model is double that for marginally better rice.

It takes 53 minutes to cook white rice, which is (I'm sure by no accident) precisely the same time it would take you to cook the rice in a donabe (including soaking, cooking, and resting) 

8 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

AI do see, however, that it will need a tiny bit of tweaking for my Jasmine rice to come out a little better - not the unit's fault, but maybe the manual's fault for not suggesting a perfect amount of liquid? Or maybe the user's fault for not measuring correctly? Or maybe the rice's fault for being too fresh? Or maybe Jupiter and Saturn, for the first time in 400 years, are just too fucking close to each other?

If you look on the internet you'll find lots of complaints about Zojirushi's treatment of Jasmine.  So it probably wasn't the user.  Or the planets.