1 hour ago, Orik said:

Our NP-VC10-TA Induction Zojirushi cost $110 in Japan and I'm amazed to see that the current equivalent costs exactly twice as much here. Definitely too much, and I assume Sneak's pressure cooker model is double that for marginally better rice.

It takes 53 minutes to cook white rice, which is (I'm sure by no accident) precisely the same time it would take you to cook the rice in a donabe (including soaking, cooking, and resting) 

Correct. And my model (NS-ZCC10 5-1/2-Cup Neuro Fuzzy Rice Cooker) only cost $60 more than your's, so not too bad.

And I'm willing to bet that cooking Japanese rice in that yellow Dutch oven, by the time it soaks, comes up to heat, cooks, and rests, takes about the same (if not longer).

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For jasmine, I use 1 cup rice to 1 and a little (less than 1.25) cups water. I don't use the measurements on the rice pot, not even for short grain rice. My mother prefers drier rice, so she uses the

Actually, you really need rice skills. But, I use Japanese rice for: Onigiri! And seasoned as "sushi" rice: For Chirashi! No raw fish was harmed - the tuna was seared, obvio

For basmati (the how much) I followed instructions located on their web site  and in a few books/online, etc. To whit, their directions state: 2 cups (rice measuring cup) basmati rice  and 3

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

What would I use short-grain rice for?

To accompany Japanese foods?    And don't denigrate sushi as a genre.    One of my favorite aperos is sushi rice topped with raw salmon/tuna/scallop/name your sea protein and French tilted topping of capers, dill, chives, EVOO.    Say I sent you.

For jasmine, I use 1 cup rice to 1 and a little (less than 1.25) cups water. I don't use the measurements on the rice pot, not even for short grain rice. My mother prefers drier rice, so she uses the 1 cup rice to water just above the first finger joint. Maybe 1:1? Too dry and dense for my tastes, but maybe if she would fluff it, it would be better.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

You need knife skills!

Actually, you really need rice skills. But, I use Japanese rice for:

541472932_Onigiri109-02.jpeg.4e22cdc7e132170266dfa33d0abbe801.jpeg

Onigiri!

And seasoned as "sushi" rice:

1794852500_Chirashi11-05.jpeg.cccaf9adfe9080610b8aaba72a0aa4c4.jpeg

For Chirashi! No raw fish was harmed - the tuna was seared, obviously.

1605498306_CurryJap11-12MG_2771.thumb.jpeg.3032f55361fa7b041dec84b9ab1df3b9.jpeg

And to serve with Japanese curry.

• Like 1

So, using what I learned from my slightly too soft Jasmine rice experiment, I made Basmati rice in the cooker last night. 

IMG_2877.thumb.jpeg.c1edad24c6a890c8c20e5ecec720f69f.jpeg

And it came out great. i did a manual "override" and cooked it on what the manual has you believe is one of the shortest time settings.  Fluffy, distinct grains, not too soft, perfect to serve with what I served it with.

15 minutes ago, Evelyn said:

Which was how much/how long? I've got some basmati that needs to be used.

For basmati (the how much) I followed instructions located on their web site  and in a few books/online, etc.

To whit, their directions state:

2 cups (rice measuring cup) basmati rice  and 3 cups (rice measuring cup) water

But 2 cups of rice (rice measuring cups) is more than we need, so I did 1.5 cups (rice measuring cups) and 2.25 cups (rice measuring cups) water.

Translates, in weight, to (about):  225 grams of rice and 405 grams (ml) of water. A pat of butter, a little salt, closed the lid and cooked it on the White rice "Harder" setting, which according to the manual cooks for 37 - 44 minutes. I imagine the "Quick" setting would be just as good, as its range is 36 - 42 minutes. 

Waited a few (2-3) minutes after the tone telling me it was done cooking, and fluffed up the rice. We ate a good 45 minutes later, and the rice was, as @Sneakeater has mentioned, perfect.

In my Anal state, I also checked the capacity of the rice measuring cup, in grams...it's a 180ml cup, and filled with water it weighed exactly 180 grams. Made in Japan!!

• Like 1