Thank you.

During my most recent visit to Japan last December I took a sushi making class in the home of a chef from a well thought of sushi restaurant. He mentioned how "exact" the rice cookers cups were. Of course he showed us how to make "real" sushi rice. But also said even he occasionally uses his Zojirushi.

Sigh. I would be on my way there on the 9th, had the world not gone of its axis¬†ūüė™

• Like 1
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For jasmine, I use 1 cup rice to 1 and a little (less than 1.25) cups water. I don't use the measurements on the rice pot, not even for short grain rice. My mother prefers drier rice, so she uses the

Actually, you really need rice skills. But, I use Japanese rice for: Onigiri! And seasoned as "sushi" rice: For Chirashi! No raw fish was harmed - the tuna was seared, obvio

For basmati (the how much) I followed instructions located on their web site  and in a few books/online, etc. To whit, their directions state: 2 cups (rice measuring cup) basmati rice  and 3

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, Evelyn said:

Thank you.

During my most recent visit to Japan last December I took a sushi making class in the home of a chef from a well thought of sushi restaurant. He mentioned how "exact" the rice cookers cups were. Of course he showed us how to make "real" sushi rice. But also said even he occasionally uses his Zojirushi.

Sigh. I would be on my way there on the 9th, had the world not gone of its axis¬†ūüė™

I was looking to purchase one of those sushi "oke" rice mixing tubs - until I saw how big and expensive they are (for the real ones, at least). Suffice to say, I continue to use my largest wooden salad bowl. Of the 3 salad bowls I rescued from parents garage before their house was sold...

515263451_Bowls05-28.jpeg.2b0df239f75da7953ef9fb8aadeefb02.jpeg

• Like 1

I was browsing through all the zojirushi rice cookers on their website to narrow down which one I want to add to my Amazon wish list. what's the difference between a long grain rice setting and a jasmine rice setting? The cooker I prefer only has a generic long grain rice setting, but we only eat jasmine rice so if there's really that much of a difference, I should get the jasmine rice one.

4 hours ago, prasantrin said:

I was browsing through all the zojirushi rice cookers on their website to narrow down which one I want to add to my Amazon wish list. what's the difference between a long grain rice setting and a jasmine rice setting? The cooker I prefer only has a generic long grain rice setting, but we only eat jasmine rice so if there's really that much of a difference, I should get the jasmine rice one.

Amazon actually had the 3 cup NS-LGC05 for $106.29 vs the 149.99 on the Zojirushi site yesterday. I bought one for my petsitter's Christmas present

1 hour ago, Orik said:

TKG

Tai Chazuke (if that doesn't end up being your favorite thing in the world then I dunno)

Any variation of marinated tuna on rice

Or if you've got some thinly sliced a5 beef around the house then this erotic presentation

All of the above?!

Do you ever make rice (in the rice cooker) with dashi, as I mostly do when making the rice in the donabe? Or is that not done?

4 hours ago, Orik said:

TKG

Tai Chazuke (if that doesn't end up being your favorite thing in the world then I dunno)

Any variation of marinated tuna on rice

Or if you've got some thinly sliced a5 beef around the house then this erotic presentation

If I could only somehow communicate to you how much money you've cost me today.

14 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

No sorta figured it out.

It only makes me regret that my very best girlfriend is still pescatarian except for kangaroo at Foxface.

More stupid expensive beef for me!

This will be one dish where even I will be hard pressed to make it look less appetizing than the photo.

19 hours ago, Evelyn said:

Amazon actually had the 3 cup NS-LGC05 for $106.29 vs the 149.99 on the Zojirushi site yesterday. I bought one for my petsitter's Christmas present

Thanks! If the borders were open, I'd order one asap. I'll have to keep checking amazon.ca. Hopefully they'll have it on sale, too!

Partial rice game...and if you seize up because things aren't neat and even, turn away...

1625885648_Ricestorage1.jpeg.da571c46cda5d6ae14460605e43cb92e.jpeg

1490337974_Ricestorage2.jpeg.fe61b69399cbbbeb881b4f5aa7b926d7.jpeg

There are another 4 or 5 in the pantries (both backup and other varieties). But missing any colorful rices as of now (red, black, etc.).

Any favorites I should try as we enter lockdown #2?