today's denver post food section

The Savory Spice shop on Platte River Drive is a welcome addition to Denver, and the kind of thing I appreciate seeing an article about in the Post. The prices are very reasonable (which doesn't get much play in the article) and it's great to have a place you can walk in and pick up some saffron that isn't 1/10 of a gram of dried out old crap in a test tube, but fresh and priced fairly.

Aside from some ethnic markets (which don't carry the range that Savory carrys), there isn't anywhere else in the area, that I'm aware of, that sells good spices and herbs for a good price.

I have been buying a lot of spices and herbs from Penzey's, mail order, but that is changing.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the shop on the same side of the street as the Proto's, right? We walked past a spice shop that had its door open and it smelled AMAZING. Will have to pop in next time, especially if they have good saffron instead of the "dried out old crap in a test tube" (LOL).

I will probably be doing some of the CO wineries in April, as I heard they are improving (and I have friends on the Western Slope who will take me around). We went to a CO wine tasting about three years ago and they were all awful except for a Viognier (I think from Book Cliffs?).

That is the one. They also have good vanilla beans as well as vanilla extract & vanilla seed paste.

At least 4 different types of whole black peppercorns.

And it is a really cool old general store feel to the place. I have heard that Penzeys is planning to open a retail store in Denver, I hope that they don't hurt his business.

And it is a really cool old general store feel to the place. I have heard that Penzeys is planning to open a retail store in Denver, I hope that they don't hurt his business.

You might be remembering the contest for a new Penzey's that Boston won. In fact, according to one article, that contest inspired the SSS to open here.

Actually, on their webpage here Penzeys Notes, they have a teaser saying Portland and Denver stores are "in the works". I hope they locate out at Belmar or somewhere where they won't compete as directly with SSS.

Huh, first I'd heard of that. I stand corrected. Frankly, if I was them, you could only look a few places. Probably Belmar, Stapleton area, or, I'd hope, 29th Street. Heck, whether or not Denver can support *one* spice shop will be interesting.

Does anyone know if they can special order spices? Like if they can get some government-heat-damaged sansho for me? I've never tried it outside of the wee shakers of ground I get from PacMerc.

I will probably be doing some of the CO wineries in April, as I heard they are improving (and I have friends on the Western Slope who will take me around). We went to a CO wine tasting about three years ago and they were all awful except for a Viognier (I think from Book Cliffs?).

Total Beverage in Thornton will be having their Sixth Annual Colorado Wine Festival June 10th and 11th. It will be free and have over a dozen colorado winery showing their product.

Oh my, I sound like a crappy advertisement.

I thought it was a good section today...I liked the Darina Allen article.

However, a couple of issues...in the fish article there was a listing of fish to eat, fish to eat rarely, and fish to avoid...several fish were listed in both the 'rarely' and 'avoid' columns. Also in that article it talked about in one place about needing to cook fish all the way through and in another about liking tuna both cooked and raw...hmmm.

Then, in the Beer of the Week feature Dick Kreck stated that U.S. Guinness is made in Canada. To my knowledge, that's only true of the Guiness Extra Stout product. The draft product and the cans and bottles labeled Guiness Draught is all brewed at St. James Gate in Dublin.

Just my two cents...

Happy St. Patrick's Day! If you are looking for something fun to do, the Old Louisville Inn's St. Pattrick's Day Festival in Louisville is a lot of fun!

• 3 weeks later...
Yay! An article about Denver's female chefs:

Look Who's Cooking

a chastening companion piece

A Washington Post story recently cited two chef/owners, Nora Pouillon and Ann Cashion, in noting that while women make up more than half of the food-preparation workforce, fewer than 1 in 5 is a chef or head cook.
Those with eagle eyes will notice that they interviewed my wife, Mary, for this article. Although she wasn't too happy about 2 years being added to her age. We have to hold on to every year we have coming to us, I feel.

Hooray. Recognition of another Colorado culinary star in our midst. Maybe it's not so bad to age only on paper...

Those with eagle eyes will notice that they interviewed my wife, Mary, for this article. Although she wasn't too happy about 2 years being added to her age. We have to hold on to every year we have coming to us, I feel.

I thought that was your wife that was interviewed, but I didn't want to embarass myself by asking.

I thought that was your wife that was interviewed, but I didn't want to embarass myself by asking.

I recognized Mary immediately, but didn't want to post anything since she's not an MF'er, and didn't know if Fred wanted to keep her a secret in cyberspace.