today's denver post food section

By the way, did you ever get a copy of this month's Colorado AvidGolfer? My review of Frasca is in there, along with a rather rudimentary steak round-up.

No, and I even went on a mini-recon mission for it. The last ish I saw was the one with reviews of The Oven and Elways (at Tattered Cover). I am guessing that King Stoopids and Safeway don't sell it after looking in a million of them in the northern 'burbs. Didn't see it at Borders @Flatirons either. I even looked at a co-worker's golf magazines on his desk and he didn't have it (had something called Rocky Mtn Golf though). ARG. You guys need a good publicist. Maybe I can get back to one of the Tattered Covers tomorrow before embarking on my upcoming journeys...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not in todays Post food section but a note at the end of Bill Husted's column. Evidently there is going to be some sort of get together at Mezcal ( on E Colfax across from the old Bluebird Theatre) on sat night for Kyle Wagner (ex dining critic.) John Kessler is coming to town. He was the Food Editor and Dining Critic at the Post befor going to Atlanta to become the Food editor there. He also writes a weekly column a link is provided in the food @ media forumn on eG. Just an FYI

colestove

Evidently there is going to be some sort of get together at Mezcal ( on E Colfax across from the old Bluebird Theatre) on sat night for Kyle Wagner (ex dining critic.) 

So did anyone show up with a gift of Shrimp Scampi for Kyle? :blink:

Evidently there is going to be some sort of get together at Mezcal ( on E Colfax across from the old Bluebird Theatre) on sat night for Kyle Wagner (ex dining critic.) 

So did anyone show up with a gift of Shrimp Scampi for Kyle? :o

No, everyone, including myself, was very well behaved. More or less, anyway. :blink:

No, everyone, including myself, was very well behaved. More or less, anyway. :blink:

So that's all you're going to share with us, Lori?

No fun tales of Husted doing half a million tequila shots or Kyle and Kris dancing on the tables? (Just kidding.)

Going to Vesta Dipping Grill in Denver tonight...anyone been?  Tx.

Vesta has been around 8 years but remains hip and trendy - quite an accomplishment in this city where concepts are only hot for a moment. Innovative food in a beautiful space.

Their claim to fame is a list of 30 homemade sauces into which you dip your entree. Take a look at http://www.vestagrill.com/ for the menus. Chef Matty Selby was one of the four chefs who represented Denver at the James Beard House Taste of Denver dinner.

btw - look for a new restaurant on 17th Avenue from the Vesta folks coming soon.

• 4 weeks later...

I emailed fooder(Kris) at the Post asking about the new dining critic and just received an answer.

The new dining critic at the Post will be TA DAA Tucker Shaw. He is the author of "Everything I ate" and "Flavor of the week". He grew up in Denver, lives in New York and will start at the Post in mid October.

I don't know any more than the above but I'm sure you web experts out there will soon enlighten me.

Kris gave permission to post this info and I want to thank her for the prompt response and permission.

As I learn more I will post more.

colestove

The new dining critic at the Post will be TA DAA Tucker Shaw.  He is the author of "Everything I ate" and "Flavor of the week".  He grew up in Denver, lives in New York and will start at the Post in mid October.

I don't know any more than the above but I'm sure you web experts out there will soon enlighten me.

Well, I think we all really know him from his powerful treatise, Confessions of a Backup Dancer (I've heard it's pretty good in that quick, teen novel way). He also shows up in Amazon as an author for Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, but only on the ebook...so I'm not sure what's up with that. Actually, Everything I Ate is a cool book, and I hope he brings along the camera for his reviews. I think we need more visual restaurant reviews.

I have to wonder if he will be using the Ruth Reichl method of costumes and scads of credit cards seeing as how his picture is everywhere. As that article states, he's supposed to have a cookbook from Chronicle out soon. Perhaps if we clap our hands really hard, he'll show up here and tell us about it.

• 1 month later...

So I picked up Tucker Shaw's amusing photo journal "Everything I Ate" at Peppercorn in Boulder. Besides having a jones for the Golden Girls and Oprah (check out the TV background shots), he eats a hell of a lot of cereal before bed (even after returning from huge meals like one at BLT Steak in New York).

I'm looking forward to the Post having a full-time critic again. I've really missed Kyle's reviews.

• 2 weeks later...