today's denver post food section

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, Tucker, for bringing this up in today's review of Prima:

The waiter poured each wine into exactly the same kind of glass, the all-purpose goblet that was already sitting on our table. Don't get me wrong: I'll accept wine no matter in what glass it's offered. But selections from a wine list as high-reaching as Prima's deserve more attention to details like glasses. The Syrah wanted a wider, rounder glass to allow it more surface area to breathe and develop. The Albariño needed something slimmer.

Too many restaurants in the Denver area still pour their vino into small-ish, generic "clunker" glasses (sometimes with bonus detergent spots). I love wine, but I almost never order it anywhere in the metro area but Frasca anymore (now that Adega's closed).

Guest biedermancooks

why wouldn't you order wine anywhere else besides Frasca and the then Adega? There are alot more restaurants in this town than the two talked about on this site. Frasca is a great place but not the only one to get a great meal.

why wouldn't you order wine anywhere else besides Frasca and the then Adega? There are alot more restaurants in this town than the two talked about on this site. Frasca is a great place but not the only one to get a great meal.

My point is that I am tired of ordering pricey wines and receiving sub-par wine service. Many Denver-area restaurants are still really amateur-ish in this department. I primarily save my vino indulgences for places I trust or that someone I trust has recommended because I know I'll have a great experience and won't feel like they're up-selling me.

If you'd like to spur discussion of more restaurants, then why not post about some of the places you like?

I eat out fairly frequently all over the metro area at all price points. I've had sublime $5 meals and mediocre $200 ones, but I have a job like most people and don't have time to post about every morsel that goes in my mouth. I don't think anyone on this forum is of the opinion that Frasca is the only place to get a great meal, but for high-end dining, they have definitely raised the bar. Many of us on this forum live in Boulder County, we've had a couple of group meals there, and it's a foodie dream spot with a master sommelier at the helm, so of course it's going to be discussed more frequently. The Bay Area is my favorite foodie haven, and I feel like Frasca has brought a little bit of the Bay Area to us.

seriously, it would be great if people would start threads about more denver/boulder area restaurants (though it is a bit of an exaggeration to say only 2 get talked about). now that frasca is raising their prices i may need to expand my horizons further. in fact, for my birthday next month i may propose to mrs. jones that we return to luca.

seriously, it would be great if people would start threads about more denver/boulder area restaurants (though it is a bit of an exaggeration to say only 2 get talked about). now that frasca is raising their prices i may need to expand my horizons further. in fact, for my birthday next month i may propose to mrs. jones that we return to luca.

OK, I'll start one. I've never been, but I want to go. rlm probably has something to say, as our resident eater-outer...

ETA: Mongo, I also reiterate something I've said before (redundantly). You should give 240 Union a try. Maybe I should start a thread on them too...

• 2 weeks later...

I was uncharacteristically listening to my car radio earlier in the week while trying to figure out WTF was going on with the parking lot on I-270 during the morning rush. Was surprised to hear Tucker Shaw pop up on 850 KOA to discuss Valentine's Day ideas. The places he mentioned were Duo, Shiprock Grill @ Red Rocks, and Mel's. The KOA wonks brought up Pagliacci's, Cafe Prague, and Patsy's. Wonder if this will be a regular call-in for him since the Post is cozy with KOA.

• 9 months later...

Denver Post on the death of Duffy's.

Edit to add:

Frank and Kenny Lombardi locked the door at Duffy's Shamrock Bar for the last time Thursday night, shuttering the watering hole that has been downtown Denver's living room and kitchen for 56 years.

The building and its next-door neighbor will be razed for a parking lot sometime next year. But the tears shed during the final breakfast, lunch and dinner prove that the memories accumulated at Duffy's will be impossible to destroy.

"How long ya been coming here, Marsha?"

"Since you had marinated herring on the menu."

That would be 43 years. . .

Edited by fml