A band which, along with the Dave Clark Five, briefly rivaled The Beatles in popularity. Their first three singles reached number one in the UK charts, a feat not repeated until Frankie Goes to Hollywood (we'll never know if the Pistols might have been the second, if not for radio bands and manufacturing go-slows).

It's evident from recordings, especially from Hamburg, that Marsden was an explosive live performer. Their first album has some great moments. "Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying" and "Ferry Cross the Mersey," both written or co-written by Marsden, remain highly listenable.

But he's remembered above all in the UK for his treatment of a Broadway classic. Not a dry eye in the house here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1090929/Video-Gerry-Marsden-sings-Youll-Never-Walk-Anfield.html

On 1/4/2021 at 9:12 AM, Wilfrid said:

A band which, along with the Dave Clark Five, briefly rivaled The Beatles in popularity. Their first three singles reached number one in the UK charts, a feat not repeated until Frankie Goes to Hollywood (we'll never know if the Pistols might have been the second, if not for radio bands and manufacturing go-slows).

It's evident from recordings, especially from Hamburg, that Marsden was an explosive live performer. Their first album has some great moments. "Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying" and "Ferry Cross the Mersey," both written or co-written by Marsden, remain highly listenable.

But he's remembered above all in the UK for his treatment of a Broadway classic. Not a dry eye in the house here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1090929/Video-Gerry-Marsden-sings-Youll-Never-Walk-Anfield.html

And coincidentally, Frankie Goes to Hollywood covered Ferry Cross the Mersey.

I'm sure not a coincidence, they would have known the connection. They were a Liverpool band too: in fact, the first time I set eyes on Holly Johnson was at Eric's, where was playing bass in a band called Big in Japan.

5 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

I'm sure not a coincidence, they would have known the connection. They were a Liverpool band too: in fact, the first time I set eyes on Holly Johnson was at Eric's, where was playing bass in a band called Big in Japan.

The coincidence i was referring to is that both bands had their first three singles hit #1

15 hours ago, mongo_jones said:

i do enjoy how wilfrid enjoys the kind of music the beatles made when it's by a band not named the beatles.

Thank you for agreeing that the Pacemakers' music was comparable to the "beatles."