• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, you create four brilliant albums based on the premise of stripping down bubblegummy pop-rock to the point where it becomes brutal. And then you have the least stripped-down record producer in the history of record production produce you?

Seymour Stein's idea, partly connected with having Spector produce "Rock and Roll High School" for the eponymous movie (he did a re-mix in the end), and partly in the hope that the boys would finally have a U.S. pop hit. Never to happen, not even with "Sheena." Although "Baby I Love You" was top 10 in the UK.

(I had Dee Dee's autobiography within reach.)

16 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

I'd be very wary of being more forgiving about the crime because of the quality of the art.

But I guess my question is, when would this come up?  When you're writing an obituary (or a life history), I guess.  But that's it.  When you're writing an evaluation of the work, the fact that the creator is a murderer might be a fact you'd mention (as Rowland does about Caravaggio) (brawl or no brawl).  But it shouldn't be a focus.  You certainly don’t have to be considering how “bad” the crime was.

Now to be sure, in the real case on which my thought experiment was based, Norman Mailer led a successful campaign to get clemency for imprisoned murderer/author Jack Henry Abbott because he was a good writer -- who returned the favor by killing another person almost immediately upon his release.  But Mailer did a lot of stupid things.

2 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

William Tell missed his son!

I don't know who's idea it was for Spector to produce the Ramones. Although I may have the answer here somewhere.

But Tell inspired Burroughs.

Yes indeed.

BTW, saw a funny Norman Mailer story somewhere this week. Buckley gave Mailer a copy of his autobiography with "Hi Norman!" penciled in the index next to the entry on Mailer.