Mine has replaced my kitchenaid, which I gave to my daughter.  The bowl you do egg whites in is plastic, but  Ankasrum says it does fine with heat. I got it so I could make bigger amounts of stiff bread dough like challah, but it does everything else well too. I got a value pack the lots of accessories from Pleasant Hill Grain, but they don’t seem to have that option any more. 

I just replaced the sacrificial gear in my kitchenaid for the third time and am contemplating if its worth upgrading to something sturdier. But at 700 bucks aren't you starting to be able to get some used professional level things? Or are they mostly 220v so more of a hassle? 

On the plus side - I can get that gear changed in like 30mins at this point. 

41 minutes ago, Anthony Bonner said:

On the plus side - I can get that gear changed in like 30mins at this point. 

I assume you repack the grease, too?

Is your's an original KA, or is it a later model?

Do you think used stuff is worth the potential hassle?

I have done it where you just reuse the old grease, but this time I repacked it - which like not a big deal so long as you remember to buy the food safe grease.  My KA is 15 years old and this time you could tell the grease had started to degrade.  Mine is a later model that had the plastic sacrificial gear from the start.  If you've never done it the only tool you need beyond a hammer and a screwdriver is a punch. 

These things are pretty simple machines - all mechanical.  I'd be worried more if there were circuit boards in them. You and I would use them so much less intensively than their intended design for the commercial stuff I don't worry much.  Also they are simple enough that absent a blown motor repairs shouldn't be a big deal. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Anthony Bonner said:

I have done it where you just reuse the old grease, but this time I repacked it - which like not a big deal so long as you remember to buy the food safe grease.  My KA is 15 years old and this time you could tell the grease had started to degrade.  Mine is a later model that had the plastic sacrificial gear from the start.  If you've never done it the only tool you need beyond a hammer and a screwdriver is a punch. 

These things are pretty simple machines - all mechanical.  I'd be worried more if there were circuit boards in them. You and I would use them so much less intensively than their intended design for the commercial stuff I don't worry much.  Also they are simple enough that absent a blown motor repairs shouldn't be a big deal. 

Very cool! I watched a few videos about repacking the grease; you're definitely more adept than me.