• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

chinese new year related events in the denver/boulder metro areas. unclear what form the celebrations at the restaurants listed will take--will they be food related or just additional performances etc.? would have been cool if the post food section had done a piece on this in addition to the valentines' day blow-out.
chinese new year related events in the denver/boulder metro areas. unclear what form the celebrations at the restaurants listed will take--will they be food related or just additional performances etc.? would have been cool if the post food section had done a piece on this in addition to the valentines' day blow-out.

Well, I can speak from experience of Spice China's New Year's celebration; I went last year with the parents. There they provide both the regular menu, and a special menu of dishes that are authentic and take so long to cook, they only do it on occasions.

We ordered a Braised Grass Carp Tail (sooooo good), a rather interesting braised Leg of Pork that had a five-spicy flavor to it (and it was a LEG, I thought my mother was going to faint, and I had leftovers for a few days), and an order of some Chinese Vegetables, none of which I recognized but seemed to be many of the "exotic" cai/choi you see in good markets. They also had Lion's Head Meatballs and other cool dishes. Probably the best, truest Chinese I've had.

As for the Dragon Dance, it was...interesting. I can tell you now those guys have balance. The dancers went not just through the aisles but also on the tops between the booths, which aren't that wide. They also set off some firecrackers inside some bai cai that were secreted around the restaurant. If you never seen cabbage explode, or felt cabbage land upon your neck, this is your chance. Luckily, we'd ordered the tofu and bai cai soup, so hey, extra cabbage. Now, I don't know if these guys did the one I went too, but I'm sure it's similar.

we went to empress for dim sum with friends today. it was jammed--perhaps because of chinese new year. there were firecracker related festivities and also some big fun dragon dancing. for some reason a lot of shredded iceberg lettuce was hurled from the dragon's mouth--can someone explain the significance of this? the festivities ended with the traditional call over the p.a system for the owners of the black honda accord and the white subaru hatchback to move their cars.

the dim sum itself was decent, i guess. some stuff was good, some was nothing to get excited about, nothing was bad. after two visits clearly the best in denver. 4 greedy people ate and left a 20% tip and barely scratched $40.

there were firecracker related festivities and also some big fun dragon dancing. for some reason a lot of shredded iceberg lettuce was hurled from the dragon's mouth--can someone explain the significance of this?

Well, it looks like cabbage (or lettuce in your case) is a prevalent theme at New Year's. Looking around the internets, I see that many families put cabbage and coins outside their houses, at this time. It seems like the cabbage is used to lure the dragon so it'll take the coins and leave good luck? Also, you often see lions eating cabbage at festivities.

I also see that airborne cabbage is often associated with spreading good luck. I'm guessing that's why they blew some up at the dinner I went to last year.

Seeing as how my research has gone this year, I think I needed more cabbage.

• 7 months later...

in another thread ("recent hit and run meals") i noted the following about a dinner at mee yee lin:

we discovered they serve dim sum at night and so decided to order from that menu. what we got:

the hong kong style shrimp dumpling soup--excellent

har gow (steamed shrimp dumplings)--decent

some sort of fried mixed meat dumpling--okay

roast duck--quite good

beef tendon and brisket pan fried noodles--the noodles were in fact deep fried and crispy, but tasted good once the sauce softened them; the meats, however, looked scary. we left most of this uneaten.

crispy, fried intestines--we were suckered into this by a "best of westword" thingy on the wall. they were actually fine--but a bit much for two people. i ate more of them than i wanted to only because the waitress had expressed doubt as to whether we would like them. they were on a bed of excellent pickled veg.

pork spare-ribs in black bean sauce--decent

why did we order so much? because we thought the low prices meant small portions. we were wrong. we were stuffed, left some food behind, brought some food home--all for a total of $30 before tip. i felt a little sick from all the fried and fatty food (plus a little too much intestines in my intestines) but we decided we would come back to mee yee lin for daytime dimsum some weekend in the abstract future.

we finally went back today for lunch. we got the soup and shrimp dumplings from above--soup still good, dumplings just okay. we got a meat dumpling thingy which might have been the same one we got last time--if so, it was better this time. some excellent chinese broccoli with oyster sauce and deep fried shrimp balls (okay) completed the meal. we'd also ordered squid in black bean sauce but they forgot about this. we didn't say anything since we were already late for our next engagement (which is also why we didn't eat so much). it was quite full even at 1.45 pm.

• 4 months later...

stopped in at mee yee lin today for some pre-super bowl dim sum. it was quite busy but in complete chaos. no sooner had we sat down than the grumpy old couple at the table behind us started complaining about delays and eventually walked out. the owner was quite highly strung and service in general was really bad. he kept asking people hopefully if they still wanted things than hadn't yet come out, and they closed the restaurant at 2, despite the sign that says they serve all day on the weekends. it transpired that there was only one person in the kitchen and that this has been a problem for them for a while. and so they're actually closing shop at the end of april (which, i presume, is when their lease runs out). their other restaurant in aurora (iliff and chamber?) will remain open.

the food was fine. only one truly offensive dish--curry squid. nothing outstanding, but nothing else that was less than acceptable.

Dim Sum alert!

There's a new spot that just opened on 2200 W. Alameda, in the same stripmall that houses King's Land, called Super Star Asian Cuisine, and it's right on par with the Empress. Not quite as sprawling as the Empress, but every bit as chaotic, and on Saturday, when I was there, I didn't see a white face anywhere. They do dim sum on Saturdays and Sundays, from 10:30-4. Rolling carts everywhere, lots of large tables, and a fairly exhaustive dim sum roster that zigzags from the ubiquitous scallop dumplings and chow foon to shark fin dumplings, congee with duck eggs, and spicy jelly fish. They've only been open for two weeks, and they're still trying to get their sea legs -- so to speak -- but I enjoyed it more than the Empress.

Also -- Palace Chinese (sister restaurant to the Imperial) on Evans and Holly does dim sum on the weekends from 11-3, and while I haven't tried it, my readers tell me it's good. The dim sum menu is smaller than both the Empress and Super Star Asian, but it incorporates all the usual suspects, along with a chinese risotto (!)

-LM

We were a 6-top in Super Star Asian on Sunday, and were very happy with it. I thought the Dim Sum was better than most that I've had in Denver, and the place was busy and bustling with a nice, sharp, competent crew of fairly young people that treated us well (and as a bonus were quite fluent in english).

I'm curious as to what their menu and food are like when not serving dim sum.

• 2 weeks later...

great dimsum today at super star asian with the entire bolderite clan. not one thing on the table that wasn't of stellar quality--though the bolderites were largely noncommital on the jellyfish....

some faves: the flash fried sardines, the flash fried squid, the fried whole shrimp, the triangular flaky pastry thingy with bbq pork.

we'll definitely be coming back here again and again. and we're not eating dim sum anywhere else in denver. i have to thank my emeritus colleague who told us about this place and lori and fred for confirming.

youngest bolderites get credit for even trying the jellyfish. They also declare the pork buns and custard buns as the best they have sampled (including New York). We were all impressed with the variety of offerings and how fresh everything was. This place is a real keeper. :blush: :unsure:

great dimsum today at super star asian with the entire bolderite clan. not one thing on the table that wasn't of stellar quality--though the bolderites were largely noncommital on the jellyfish....

some faves: the flash fried sardines, the flash fried squid, the fried whole shrimp, the triangular flaky pastry thingy with bbq pork.

we'll definitely be coming back here again and again. and we're not eating dim sum anywhere else in denver. i have to thank my emeritus colleague who told us about this place and lori and fred for confirming.

I know a certain cheesemonger that has serious dim sum cravings, just so you know..... She'd be happy to meet you any Sunday.

I know a certain cheesemonger that has serious dim sum cravings, just so you know..... She'd be happy to meet you any Sunday.

Grad students like dim sum too. Of course, this one doesn't eat shellfish, so you'd all have extra squid and whatnot for yourselves.

BTW, did anyone go to the inaugural dim sum at Ping's last weekend? I know they are trying it out, but I'm not sure what they are serving.