Another great dim sum experience at Super Star Asian Cuisine in Denver. 10:30am on the weekends is the optimum dining time. everything is super fresh and the crowds are just starting to build. By 11:15, folks are waiting at the door. Excellent variety, highlights were the salt and pepper whole shrimp and whole fish, fresh and meaty pork buns, har gow and a nice selection of shu mai. They had manila clams in black bean sauce but it was over powered by green pepper (and 3/4 of the Hartman clan hate green pepper). Beef riblets were also very tasty. Singapore noodles came around, but we were too full.

We ordered more than usual and the total for four people was still under $15 pp.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i forgot to mention that our own second experience at super star asian last month was also stellar. so good in fact that we didn't eat dim sum in l.a last week, having taken it off the list of things we cannot get stellar versions of in denver/boulder.

i forgot to mention that our own second experience at super star asian last month was also stellar. so good in fact that we didn't eat dim sum in l.a last week, having taken it off the list of things we cannot get stellar versions of in denver/boulder.

I'm glad you guys bumped this, I completely forgot about it! Damn, now I'm craving dim sum.

Did anyone ever go to Pings?

in boulder? we had dinner there once and didn't like it enough to want to go back for anything else. they have dimsum now, right? i seem to have a hazy recollection of someone suggesting this may be true.

Same here. Anybody want to meet for dim sum at some agreeable time?

Sounds good to me, so that means it'll be on a Sunday at 9 pm or something...

• 1 month later...

You nutty kids are right about Super Star Asian on Alameda. Finally got to check this place out, and I'm happy that I have a dim sum place I won't be ashamed to take my Bay Area friends to.

Only minus is that a good portion of the mussels weren't open. I can't remember the name of our favorite item--it was a pan fried dumpling stuffed with greens. They didn't last long enough for us to really get into the nuances. We ordered a mind-blowing mountain of food (enough for left-overs), but the tab was only $40 for 2. Arrived at 11 and didn't have to wait for a booth. There were people lined up in the entryway shortly thereafter, but lots of tables had opened up around the time we were leaving.

Perhaps my dining companion will chime in...

You nutty kids are right about Super Star Asian on Alameda. Finally got to check this place out, and I'm happy that I have a dim sum place I won't be ashamed to take my Bay Area friends to.

Only minus is that a good portion of the mussels weren't open. I can't remember the name of our favorite item--it was a pan fried dumpling stuffed with greens. They didn't last long enough for us to really get into the nuances. We ordered a mind-blowing mountain of food (enough for left-overs), but the tab was only $40 for 2. Arrived at 11 and didn't have to wait for a booth. There were people lined up in the entryway shortly thereafter, but lots of tables had opened up around the time we were leaving.

Perhaps my dining companion will chime in...

Moi?

I agree with all former assessments of SSA. We were definitely little piggies. A hearty "yes, please" to almost everthing that went by, until the table was filled with plates and steamers. Shu mai, pork buns, rice noodle crepes with shrimp, seafood rolls, mussels in back bean sauce, steamed shrimp dumpling, fried shrimp dumpling, sticky rice in lotus leaf, sauteed greens, that fried tofu thing, and yes, those dumplings. They are pan fried, and stuffed with spinach and pork. The shape is like a small hockey puck- round and flattened. I have no idea what they were called- she tried to tell me, something like "chayo pan fried dumpling", but I don't see it on the menu. Little piggies got 2 orders of those, and only one was leftover.

There were so many more things that we had to pass on, as you see, we stocked up pretty well. I have leftovers in my fridge, and now I'm going to have to go and get them.

The shrimp dishes were all succculent and fresh, everything was just fabulous. I'm already wanting to make another run. I'll start with my own kitchen for now.

Shu mai, pork buns, rice noodle crepes with shrimp, seafood rolls, mussels in back bean sauce, steamed shrimp dumpling, fried shrimp dumpling, sticky rice in lotus leaf, sauteed greens, that fried tofu thing, and yes, those dumplings. They are pan fried, and stuffed with spinach and pork.

Ohhhh...the shu mai! We should have had two orders of those at least.

Those "green" dumplings w/the spinach and pork were as close to perfection as you could probably find though. Foodie heaven.

Everything was so hot and fresh and...MMMM...I'm having a Homer Simpson Moment here.

You crazy gals beat me to the post! And we must have missed you by an hour at the most on Saturday. Picked up son in Golden from a week at camp and immediately headed to Super Star Asian Cuisine with the family, we must have arrived at about 12:15 or so, right between the two rushes, so we got a nice big table and it was not crowded but by 1:00, the place was mobbed. Everything was exceptional on Saturday except the manila clams -- too much green pepper and too many not opened, but everything else . . mmmm. Highly recommend a special order of the salt and pepper whole shrimp, they bring it out in minutes, and a plate of the small fish (sardines, we think). Steamed and baked pork buns are excellent and on Saturday the shrimp har gow and the scallop were so fresh.

We stopped next door at Pacific Ocean Market for take home BBQ Pork and Custard buns and some BBQ pork.

Mmmm, pork.

Went back to Super Star today. I'm addicted. Was as good (better?) as last week. Actually, the clams appeared to be much better- not an unopened one in the bowl, and they were fatties in those little shells.

The other stuff was pretty much the same fabulousness that it was last week. There was a leek and shrimp dumpling this time that was very fragrant.

Of note: John Lehendorff (and 4 others) were 2 tables away from our table. He was taking notes, so look for a review in the News upcoming.

Lehndorff loves the Super Star Asian (of course he does). Has anyone seen them bring out the hot doughnuts he mentions?

Went again today.... :P That's 3 weeks in a row. I get like that, though.

rlm and I got there a little later than before, and did indeed have to wait. Lots more caucasians than before- Must have been Lehndorff's influence. It was super busy, and everyone was running their tails off. This is the first time that we had an interval when there was no food on the table. And one cart flew by us without stopping, and she was gone before we could flag her back.

Not to say we didn't get plently to eat, we certainly did, and everything was exceptional, as expected.

They've already got Lehndorff's review up in the entryway next to Sheehan's (with the latter one being possibly the only food review in the world to ever include the phrase "baked poodle ass," which gave me a much-needed chuckle re-reading it while trying to ignore the odd sounds coming from my empty stomach as we waited for our table).

It was nutso today. The hostess had to jump up on the counter to see over all the people in the entryway and be able to ascertain what tables were becoming available.

We spent about the same amount of $ as last time and brought a full load back for Mr. rlm to inhale in record time (he declared the pork buns to be his favorite).

• 4 weeks later...

I have taken one for the team, or so I thought. I had a loose plan to meet a friend at Belmar this afternoon, which in my mind translated to "If I go early, I can hit Savory Spice shop, then SSA for dim sum, and with my cooler in the car, I can do a little shopping, keep any extra dumplings cool, etc."

So, I did the unthinkable. Dim Sum on a weekday. At 1:30. I'd tried this at China Jade (Far East Plaza) a couple of years ago, with unfavorable results. I didn't expect Sat/Sun quality, but baby, I got it. Sure, there were only 20-30 people in the joint at that hour, and only 2 carts running about, but that just means they scaled down for less people- not that there were fewer offerings, just that they were on fewer carts. What wasn't on a cart (Pan fried chive dumplings) were easily obtainable. I didn't see feet on carts, but sitting at the first booth by the kitchen, I saw feet and tripe pass by order. The soup cart hung at the back by the crabs, and was manned when requested. In retrospect, I wish I had also ordered some Chow Foon to go as well. You know, for lunch tomorrow. I love me some rice noodle.

In short- I was surprised that everything was as juicy and plump as on a Saturday or Sunday- one thing hit me in the eye when I bit into it, and I'm still trying to discern the physics involved there. Everything was as if the room was seating 100+. No scallop or shrimp dumpling was anything short of succulent, with no fishyness that can be off-putting if things are not as fresh.

I love this place. And for $20- plenty to eat.... for lunch, and dinner later (which I polished off about 15 minutes ago). And I know, I've gushed enough, but I must say one more thing. I love the service here. Attentive, friendly, and never, ever curt. It reminds me of experiences at the Empress, where service was quite different.