The Denver Post joins the other rags in reviewing Super Star Asian, but spends less attention to the dim sum, and more to the regular menu for a change. Seeing as I haven't managed to pull myself away from the dim sum, it's good to hear about the rest of the menu, since I can't read the all-chinese character whiteboard worth a damn.

Unfortunately, from this review, it would initially seem that the menu is standard american style chinese with a few aberrations, and the reviewer fails to give a useful description of much (other than price)- it's more a menu recitation than a review of the food, except to say she can "attest to the wonderfulness" of dishes apparently untried. But the ones she did: did the Mongolian Beef have that undercurrent of heat that is always so lacking elsewhere? The XO Tofu is "flavorful", what kind of flavor? It did serve it's purpose in making me start craving peking duck, however. If anyone around here can make PD, it's gotta be SSA, right? But I won't attest to the wonderfulness until I crunch that skin with my own teeth.

Here's the LINK

And as an aside, I dragged rlm (she literally kicked and screamed, what a scene she made!) there for a weekday lunch a few weeks ago to test the weekday theory. We arrived just before opening (at 11 am), and with little delay, the table was heaping with steamer baskets. We had to special order the pan-fried chive dumplings (DAMN those are good), but had a fast, great lunch, much like my last review, so I didn't mention it, but figured I'd tack it on here.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dim sum again at super star asian today, after a long gap. not a great meal across the board. one whole tray's worth of fried goodies was cold, the steam char siu baos were uninspiring--but hey, still head and shoulders above everything else in denver, and still comparable to empress pavillion in los angeles. my parents loved everything they ate.

we got there at about 11.30--had to wait about 15 minutes. the crowds remained steady but there didn't seem to be queues out the door. why anybody still eats at king's land when they're right across the parking lot, i don't know.

• 3 weeks later...

excellent dim sum today at superstar asian. glad to see that our previous meal was an aberration.

we got there at about 11.15 and sat down right away. it began to slowly fill up at about 11.30. why there aren't gigantic lines out the door from the moment they open, i don't know, but am grateful that there aren't (as long as they're making money).

will try to get there one more time before the parents leave. and next week we might finally check out chopsticks.

• 4 weeks later...

yet another trip to superstar asian, this time for weekday dimsum yesterday. pretty good. they were quite packed--i think it might have been unexpected as they seemed to be scrambling with very few staff and carts. everything we got was excellent, except one fried thingy with crab, mayo and cucumber. we had to special order the tiny fried fish with roe (and now we know that to get it more easily next time we need to ask for "finger fish").

not as good: negotiating the gigantic ice-rink of a parking lot in that complex. some of those merchants need to get together and get that thing plowed and cleared.

• 2 months later...

the one-time monger of cheese and bolderite (playing hooky from work) joined the joneses at dim sum at superstar asian this afternoon. actually, we arrived together. after some adventures in interlocken we got to superstar in the 1 pm region and had a very good lunch indeed. bolderite harassed cheesemonger terribly--forcing her to eat the deep-fried whole fish with roe, holding her nose tightly till she ate the head and threatening to stamp on her bionic ankle; but these kinds of things aside, and once cheesemonger stopped sobbing, it was a good time. and on the way home i got to drive in the special hov lane.

All that plus I intentionally gave Mongo bad directions to that which is Interlocken hell and I tried to hide the former monger of cheese's lone crutch because I didn't really believe that she needed it. I am a bad, bad dining companion.

And speaking of dining companions, where the heck are the rest of you folks eating these days? :blink:

And speaking of dining companions, where the heck are the rest of you folks eating these days? :blink:

Nowhere! Ahh...the joys of a grad student preparing his thesis and defense....

• 3 weeks later...

pretty good meal at super star asian yesterday with two crazy and old experimental writers; one of whom, the one who writes weird novels (the other writes weird plays,) is the one who'd originally told us about it when it opened*. thanks to him, we got something we've never picked out before: tripe cooked (steamed?) with loads of ginger--my favorite thing on the table, if only because the whole, fried mystery fish with roe were obviously pre-fried and cold. when we asked if we could get a fresh order as replacement they took the cold one away, microwaved it and brought it back, now disgustingly soggy. still, i ate it all.

*he also mentioned a new dim sum place at mississippi and federal. he has not been yet himself--anyone know it?

pretty good meal at super star asian yesterday with two crazy and old experimental writers; one of whom, the one who writes weird novels (the other writes weird plays,) is the one who'd originally told us about it when it opened*. thanks to him, we got something we've never picked out before: tripe cooked (steamed?) with loads of ginger--my favorite thing on the table, if only because the whole, fried mystery fish with roe were obviously pre-fried and cold. when we asked if we could get a fresh order as replacement they took the cold one away, microwaved it and brought it back, now disgustingly soggy. still, i ate it all.

*he also mentioned a new dim sum place at mississippi and federal. he has not been yet himself--anyone know it?

Does he mean VIP Harbor?