Mesob - Ethiopian in Montclair

Had lunch here yesterday and enjoyed it very much. Haven't had Ethiopian since student days in DC so not totally a reliable judge, but both my friend an I really enjoyed what we got. Portions of the protein were quite large (I had Kifto and frankly it was a bit cloying by the end). The injera had a nice sour taste to it. Plan on going back with the fam to sample more of the menu.

A continuation of the trend of being positively surprised by non-western food in NJ, 

I'm located a bit further west. We tried a Chaat place in Edison that I really enjoyed. Shan Noodles (xinjiang food) in Parsippany and A&J Bistro (Taiwanese) in East Hanover

I'm really eager to explore Edison more, but need to wait for COVID to be done.

• Thanks 1

Nyc Ethiopian has been getting slowly worse as they are unable to escape the puddles on sponge format and the pricing that comes with it. The suburbs may do better temporarily, but eventually someone is going to have to figure it out (and the other kind of Ethiopian restaurant where you just get chopped raw camel is going to be difficult)

the dc places that are supposed to be so good are all sponge and slop joints.

ghenet in gowanus/park slope would be ok by dc standards I think. not saying much, but it's better than the other ones I've been to here. I haven't been to the dc places that much more recently than bonner, but I did live right in the middle of that set of restaurants and ate at those restaurants a lot.

On 3/11/2021 at 7:56 AM, Anthony Bonner said:

I kind of like the slop on sponges aesthetic occasionally.  This place wasn't cheap btw.  

I like it too, but it has its limits. Of course it's also limited by the very, very small selection of dishes that Ethiopian restaurateurs seem unwilling to stray from. I guess it's as if some very small regional sourhern Indian cuisine would be the only thing every Indian restaurant served. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/10/2021 at 9:12 PM, Orik said:

Nyc Ethiopian has been getting slowly worse as they are unable to escape the puddles on sponge format and the pricing that comes with it. The suburbs may do better temporarily, but eventually someone is going to have to figure it out (and the other kind of Ethiopian restaurant where you just get chopped raw camel is going to be difficult)

Benyam on Fredrick Douglass and 149th is doing terrific Ethiopian right now. Only came across it because it's in my neighborhood but it's the best I've had in years.