Passover 2021, year two of the 11th plague

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After serving Significant Eater the main course, she said: "I'd really be happy with just another bowl of soup and a matzo ball." For lunch the following day, I made matzo ball ramen, doctoring u

Planning on homemade gefilte fish, matzoh ball soup, potato kugel, hard boiled eggs in saltwater, and a green salad. There's a shop in my sister's neighborhood that makes charoset ice cream, and now I

Fisher is a fictional construct, happily for him.  Just to put the blame where it deserves to rest, joe's supplier was Michael Solomonov.

Posted Images

Planning on homemade gefilte fish, matzoh ball soup, potato kugel, hard boiled eggs in saltwater, and a green salad. There's a shop in my sister's neighborhood that makes charoset ice cream, and now I want that, but I don't have time to get to New Orleans before tomorrow.

General charoset question: what kind of wine can I use that I will want to drink the rest of?

• Like 1

I wonder if I can get Manischewitz in an airplane bottle. I've used grape juice in the past, but only because my Orthodox neighbors give me a little bottle of it in my Purim gift bag. This year they cut back, and I think we just got crackers and a candy bar.

I ordered the full Passover dinner for two, from Michael Solomonov's Abe Fisher in Philadelphia. Now it just has to show up.

I don't know exactly of everything included; if something important is missing (I already got the horseradish), I might be self-guilted into cooking whatever it is that might be missing.

3 minutes ago, bloviatrix said:

Please share the menu and photos when it arrives. I'm really curious to know what they sent.

I guess I could've look at this:

The meal begins with our housemade everything bagel-spiced matzo, served with a selection of dips and salads, like carrot-walnut charoset and chicken rillette. Next up is traditional matzo ball soup with soul-warming chicken broth. The centerpiece of the meal is a coffee-braised brisket, slow-cooked until it’s fall-apart tender, served with a schmaltzy sweet potato & apple kugel. Have yourself a slice of flourless chocolate almond tart to complete the meal.

Chef Michael Solomonov’s Abe Fisher, Zahav’s sister restaurant, celebrates the food of the Jewish Diaspora, from Eastern Europe to New York City and beyond.

Certainly missing stuff like gefilte fish and any sort of green veg. I have 1/2 lb. of salt cod in the fridge, and that is going to sub for the gefilte fish - perhaps be even better.

I made his Red Pepper Salad which is a "cooked" salad of onions, red peppers, a carrots with a bit of red wine vinegar which is then thrown into the food processor and chopped. I will admit to taking more than one tastes. It's meant to be served as a side, but it would work spooned on top of a piece of matzah (perhaps rubbed with a piece of garlic).

Cooking for six meals requires an enormous amount of advance planning. Here's where I was when I went to bed last night. Only things left right now are making the charoset (all the nuts have been toasted), roast the shankbone, put together the Quinoa salad - all components done, and make the fish. And I've decided to make a mushroom matzoh kugel because the spouse bought 3 pounds of mushrooms.

IMG_0620.thumb.PNG.1d5e29cdabdbdf80b6cbff1061276b43.PNG

Our dinner, to be eaten after we attend our friends' online seder:

--Gefilte fish (cooked from frozen)

--Chicken with spinach and eggplant

--Pan-roasted potatoes

--Honey cake, rainbow cookies, and chocolate-covered macaroons from Zabar's

Because we'll need our own charoset, I threw together a Sephardi version that uses dates, almonds, and a little sweet wine (Graham's 10-year-old port in our case).  As for wine with the seder/dinner, the candidates are a merlot from Napa or one of two pinot noirs (one from CA, one from South Africa).

Also, for the last couple of years I've been making my own stewed fruit (usually prunes) that I can have with yogurt for breakfasts.  This year's batch was particularly good, maybe because this bag of prunes was especially sticky.