Passover 2021, year two of the 11th plague

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After serving Significant Eater the main course, she said: "I'd really be happy with just another bowl of soup and a matzo ball." For lunch the following day, I made matzo ball ramen, doctoring u

Planning on homemade gefilte fish, matzoh ball soup, potato kugel, hard boiled eggs in saltwater, and a green salad. There's a shop in my sister's neighborhood that makes charoset ice cream, and now I

Fisher is a fictional construct, happily for him.  Just to put the blame where it deserves to rest, joe's supplier was Michael Solomonov.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, voyager said:

Heaven  

I normally cook from recipes, but this was really ad-hoc.  Essentially, it was a lot of sticky prunes, enough water to cover them, one bag of rooibos tea, a little white sugar, a little cinnamon sugar, and some of RG's canela.  I did have to "adjust the seasonings" (add a touch more white sugar).  Throwing in the rooibos makes it more interesting, without adding tannins like you'd get from a regular tea bag.

4 minutes ago, StephanieL said:

I normally cook from recipes, but this was really ad-hoc.  Essentially, it was a lot of sticky prunes, enough water to cover them, one bag of rooibos tea, a little white sugar, a little cinnamon sugar, and some of RG's canela.  I did have to "adjust the seasonings" (add a touch more white sugar).  Throwing in the rooibos makes it more interesting, without adding tannins like you'd get from a regular tea bag.

Stewed prunes always bring to mind the Cotswalds where we spent a week at a very British country hotel.   Every morning I would have stewed prunes and a pitcher of heavy cream.   On a morning when our usual waiter was off, a tiny but squat older woman served our table.   Bright and cheerful, she asked after greeting us, "And would Madam like cream with her prunes?"    Well, er, sure, why not.

@Orik - HELP! Or anyone else with some food science knowledge...

My passover meal package arrived last night around 6:30 PM, after being in transit for at least 18 hours. This came from Abe Fisher/Zahav/Solomonov in Philadelphia, via Goldbelly. I don't know how the logistics all work.

To say it arrived at refrigerator temp or anything close to that is a joke. To say it arrived, as Goldbelly says: "cool to the touch" is a stretch as well. I'd say it was in the danger zone for a while. How long is anyone's guess, but according to tracking info, it was on that UPS truck for a while.

https://www.goldbelly.com/zahav/abe-fisher-passover-meal-kit/instructions

1113439675_AbeFisherKit2.thumb.jpeg.279201a4b57d77315ff221b2ba0e612d.jpeg

There was literally ONE ice pack, fully melted, sitting at the bottom of the box (I always thought ice should be on top?), in some liquid, which I'm assuming was various condensation from packages as they warmed up. Here's the ice.

IMG_3833.thumb.jpeg.7e438b3baeb2219a46ba2e27480bff9d.jpeg

And the box, with the liner I imagine helps keep stuff cool? I take something like this liner (in small bag form) with me to the farmer's market; that way if I buy seafood, I have something extra to keep it cool in, but I'm home in 15 minutes.

IMG_3835.thumb.jpeg.0ed344c48a2f234b9f1658fe4f493b24.jpeg

The way the food itself was packaged seems fine - I don't know if it was cooked sous vide or via standard methods, but it was all vacuum packed...

IMG_3834.thumb.jpeg.74babf6db818a617ba4572063d639a19.jpeg

2100837865_AbeFisherKit1.thumb.jpeg.ad08096f9a3fef49dcffed539b3dfdfe.jpeg

I know from years of reading, that certain bad things aren't killed by reaching boiling water temp, otherwise I'd be happy to heat everything up and go for it. I'm happy to put stuff in the oven and really heat it up, even higher than the boiling point if that was to work? (Aren't there weird spores which can form and not die via heat?)

So - I am very worried about the safety factor. I'm no food scientist.  I understand the final plague to get Pharaoh to chill out was to sacrifice the first-born son, but I'm not ready to go yet, and certainly not ready to go via food poisoning.

What the hell should I do?

Even if I have to throw everything here out (well, I'm okay with the matzot and chocolate tart), I have plenty of food in the house. We're not gonna starve. I mean, I'll go pick up sushi if I have to - fuck it.

And you know I order regularly from D'artagnan, some stuff from Regalis, seafood from Alaska, etc. etc.  - that stuff all arrives in perfect condition!

Horrible! And with regard to that one measly cold pack, disgraceful! Like you, I order regularly from D’Artagnan, and they always put in a boatload of cold packs irrespective of whether the items are vacuum packed fresh or frozen. Same goes for Lobel’s, who ship all their products vacuum packed fresh. As for what to do, to me, it’s a no brainer. Definitely not worth taking a chance on getting sick. So, toss it! And, it goes without saying, complain bitterly and get a refund. 

That really is pathetic packaging.

During the big snow storms that hit both the NE and the middle of the country I had a large order from Fossil Farms that I set to ship before the storm was even a blip. Of course it got held both in NY and Dallas. It arrived 7 days after it left their warehouse. I had been in contact with them, and was assured they would make things right if need be. But not to worry, they pack their products to survive at least 6 days in transit. They didn't lie. Everything was still cold. Almost to the point of freezing. There must have been 10 packs of icepacks in various sizes inside the styrofoam cooler. I was definitely impressed.

I'm not a food scientist. But have taken food handlers classes. Personally I would definitely toss it. And as Roz said, get that refund!

What is unconscionable to me is that a purveyor of an obviously singular meal would be so cavalier.   Money can be refunded, but this meal can't be replaced in real time on time.   'joe" is capable and resourceful but think about those (old, isolated) unable to adapt quickly.   Shame on Goldbelly and Fisher.