Passover 2021, year two of the 11th plague

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After serving Significant Eater the main course, she said: "I'd really be happy with just another bowl of soup and a matzo ball." For lunch the following day, I made matzo ball ramen, doctoring u

Planning on homemade gefilte fish, matzoh ball soup, potato kugel, hard boiled eggs in saltwater, and a green salad. There's a shop in my sister's neighborhood that makes charoset ice cream, and now I

Fisher is a fictional construct, happily for him.  Just to put the blame where it deserves to rest, joe's supplier was Michael Solomonov.

Posted Images

Joe was obviously too furious to post this where he meant to:

14 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

Upon further review, and speaking with a knowledgeable food science person, with my stove and my circulator, I can make sure that stuff is safe to consume.

However, I won't be ordering via Goldbelly any time soon.

12 minutes ago, Orik said:

@joethefoodie did you survive the botulism delivery?

Oh we haven’t eaten yet...but I think between my circulator, stove, oven and getting everything hotter than I should for longer than I should, I’ll be ok.

I was kinda reassured by a few food nerds (I mean other than the ones here).  

but I’m all ears to hear what you think!

1 hour ago, joethefoodie said:

Oh we haven’t eaten yet...but I think between my circulator, stove, oven and getting everything hotter than I should for longer than I should, I’ll be ok.

I was kinda reassured by a few food nerds (I mean other than the ones here).  

but I’m all ears to hear what you think!

I don't think the FDA would support Goldbelly's "cool to the touch" test - what if the truck drove through a hot sunny day and then a cold night? 

The food safety answer is that, as you know, the risk of c. botulinum growth is extremely low but extreme. I would call the vendor and ask what risk mitigation they have in place (sodium benzoate? curing? pressure cooking) but would otherwise toss any vacuum packed, moderate to low acidity foods that spent many hours at room temperature in vacuum. I don't think you'll have problems with any other bacteria. 

Chicken dish is cooked and ready for reheating.  Frozen gefilte fish is heating in a casserole dish in the oven, as it was too big to fit in any of my pots other than the huge Dutch oven.  N is preparing the pan-roasted potatoes, and the carrots which will go with the gefilte fish.  Cake is thawed out.  And I'll open the wine and prepare the table just before the seder.