Passover 2021, year two of the 11th plague

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After serving Significant Eater the main course, she said: "I'd really be happy with just another bowl of soup and a matzo ball." For lunch the following day, I made matzo ball ramen, doctoring u

Planning on homemade gefilte fish, matzoh ball soup, potato kugel, hard boiled eggs in saltwater, and a green salad. There's a shop in my sister's neighborhood that makes charoset ice cream, and now I

Fisher is a fictional construct, happily for him.  Just to put the blame where it deserves to rest, joe's supplier was Michael Solomonov.

Posted Images

I've got leftovers for weeks, but happily, everything came out pretty good. The gefilte fish was a little hard - maybe I should have boiled it longer. Matzoh balls get softer the longer they're cooked; maybe gefilte fish does, too. The bagels were fine, not as light as they should've been, but I break them up into the soup anyway, so...they're fine. The potato kugel was awesome and very knish-like, so I put mustard on it. Works good! And I managed to not crack my grandma's "woman of the year" plate from the Jewish Center of Violet Park, so this year was better than last year in that respect.

1238521418_passover01.png.e2e85e5de3da691715ee79680f026df2.png

948193763_passover02.png.b9f4af63398cc5b05f7709a43ae4ae25.png

1750259996_passover03.png.f50f78987f6524466c97ca722a4c38af.png

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

This was so much work for me to have dinner by myself that if it didn't have millennia of religious tradition behind it I'd wonder why the fuck I would do it.

I did it the easy way; all I have to worry about is botulism.

The fact the food isn't as good as mine is a minor inconvenience.

Though I don't make my own matzo, and his is good.

Two items stood out: the chicken soup and matzo balls (which I count as one item) were very good. The chicken soup had that extra, well, salt.  And the brisket was under salted.

17 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

This was so much work for me to have dinner by myself that if it didn't have millennia of religious tradition behind it I'd wonder why the fuck I would do it.

Doesn't matter if it's  Seder for 3 or 20, the work is the same; the difference is the size of the pots and pans. Every year I say it's the last time I doing it. 

• Like 1

But in a way, that's what I'm saying.  If I were having 9 or 10 friends over, I could see there might be a reason for all this labor.  Just for myself, I'm not sure I see how it's worth it.

(I now realize that the difference is that, cooking for myself, I never bother with multicourse meals.  I make a main dish and a side dish, and that's it.  None of the individual dishes I made for last night's seder was that difficult in itself.  But it was like cooking three dinners for one night for me -- and then trying to coordinate when they'd all be ready.) (And yeah, a lot of it was cooked ahead [I mean, you HAVE to cook brisket ahead, right?].  That doesn't really change anything:  you have to reheat.)

I don't mind cooking a mess of stuff for me (or me + 1), as long as the eating part isn't over too quickly. For Thanksgiving and Passover this year, it was useful to be on a Zoom call for the meal, 'cause it felt like the amount of time I spent cooking was justified by the amount of time I spent eating.

For me, cooking two Seder meals at home (in NJ) for Michael and me has been a drastic change. We gave up doing Seders several years ago. Instead, we’ve stayed in our apartment and gone to restaurants serving Passover dinners (not Kosher): one night just the two of us, the other night with our daughter, son-in-law, his sister, and her husband.

9 minutes ago, small h said:

Oh! Interesting. How come? The seder part of our seder was barely an hour, so it felt necessary to have some conversation after.

We had a looooonnnnnngggggg chat period beforehand.

I think we all got off because many of us -- very much including me -- had to do stuff in the kitchen to finalize the food.

I deZoomed before the meal because I couldn't deal with the cacophony from the Seder itself.  My friends and their relatives can be a little trying in person--everything is a commentary--but on Zoom it was just too much.  And I didn't want to be hanging out on a laptop as we were eating.

Boy shared with us everything he’s learned in school. Glad to see that all that money we’re spending on tuition is paying off. 

First night corned beef came out a little dry - I used first cut as opposed to my preferred second. Chicken Marbella on night two was better. Happy with all my kugels and sides. Solomonov red pepper salad is really good. I have so much food left over , it’s crazy. Chicken soup was really good. Frankly, I would be ok with just soup and a matzoh ball and nothing else.