March Madness 2021

the bill walton final four almost still alive!!

In a weird season almost makes sense that the Pac-12 looks great. 

But by no means did UCLA "put it" to the tide. If Bama hits fouls shots on something just approaching competence that game doesn't go to OT. Which I mean basketball is basketball. 

While we have not been a stellar free throw shooting team this season, the last 2 games were the awful. We knew we were going to have issues from the very first shoot around at Hinkle. Our guys really struggled with the depth perception there. The 2nd level behind the basket really threw them off. But, you have to play the hand you are dealt.

I am so proud of this team. They were picked to finish 5th in the SEC. Instead, they won the regular season title, the SEC Tournament and made the Sweet 16. I am especially proud of our Seniors. Two of whom could have opted for the Draft instead of returning. We will look back and say just like Julio Jones helped Nick Saban change the culture of Alabama Football, these young men and Nate Oats will be credited with doing the same for Alabama Basketball. 

Amazingly, UCLA beat Michigan.  Now they have to square off against the very talented Gonzaga.  So far however UCLA has had more opponents and higher ranked opponents.  Could be interesting.

Juzang’s follow-up to his miss in OT was brilliant, as was UCLA’s entire game.  But what a shot from Suggs!

Lots of calls that could’ve gone either way.  Overall, one of my favorite games to have watched.

When I was in law school, I used to enjoy leafing through the Gonzaga Law Review during study breaks.

Mainly cuz I couldn't believe there was really a school anywhere called Gonzaga.

No, just "gone".

Baylor looks so damn frenetic but, bottom line, seems to be totally in command of the court.  Swarming defense that seems to be everywhere, combined with a number of players who can all hit the 3s, overwhelmed both Houston and Gonzaga.  The only way out of this for Gonzaga might've been giving up on their own outside shooting even more and just continuously cutting inside &/or driving to the basket.  Although I get the feeling that Baylor would've adjusted to that as well.

As an aside, this is why I'm not fond of end of season single elimination tournaments in team sports -- especially when they wind up, in later rounds, with highly regarded opponents who have never faced each other.  At least in tennis (the only other real single elimination draw sheet sport) the players have usually played each other before and will again.  Even baseball now has NL teams facing AL teams during the season.  I'd really love to see the semi's being 2 of 3 and the finals either 2 of 3 or 3 of 5.  

I guess but isn't half the joy of the NCAA's the randomness of it? 

How different might this game have been if the UCLA-Gonzaga game were in the elite eight so there were five days to rest? 

I'm totally torn though as I really disliked the idea of this Gonzaga team going down as an undefeated - but I also dislike Scott Drew's AAU-whoring and historically his inability to coach. Though based on last nights results I guess we can say he's figured out the later? 

Every once in awhile a team plays "differently" from others and shows a new way to win.  I watched several of their games and, each time, I thought that they would fall apart and either start missing or break ranks and go one on one too much, competing with each other for the ball.  Never happened.  In the college basketball game, I'd guess that this emanates from the coach, who envisions the style, successfully recruits for it, gets the players on board with it, then helps them execute it to its max.  Given that it took this coach well over 15 years to win it all, I'm gonna further guess that this is not an easily accomplished feat for Drew.