• 1 month later...

Well, four in a row for the Metsies, people are starting to hit (especially people who got paid $340mm), the pitching looks very nice...who knows.

But what makes me really happy (though I'm sure it won't last) is the play of that team from the left coast. No, not the Giants. (BTW, Happy 90th to Willie, one of the true all-time greats). No, not the Padres.  No, not the Angels.

That team.

• 4 months later...

And that cynical 8th inning at bat by Rizzo. He had hit the home run so why bother trying any more? Three swishes and home to bed. Not giving a fuck.

Losing a good game is okay. 

6 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

Losing a good game is okay. 

Was this a good game?

The Yanks already knew Cole couldn't pitch at Fenway this year; something like 7 homers in 17 innings or some weird stat like that. Start someone else.

• Like 1

No, I meant I don't mind losing if we're competitive. This was a lousy performance all round, and some players didn't look like they cared. I agree about Cole; he was off from the beginning. But I can't see how Boone could have gone with a different starter.

4 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

No, I meant I don't mind losing if we're competitive.

Back when I used to play the ponies (or should I say back when I played the ponies a good deal more than I do now) I had a buddy with whom I'd go to the racetrack. (There were two racetracks pretty darn close to where I lived; made it easy). He didn't mind losing (well, not as much) as long as his horse gave him a run for the money. If the horse/jockey didn't care or ran stupid, (e.g. ran opposite of what form the animal should've run), he'd be yelling and screaming (yeah, horse players are nuts).

So I understand now exactly what you mean. Sorta like the Mets, from all-star break on.

Baseball has always had weird arcane rules and justifications for them.  (An example that came up tonight was this concept that a runner touching the bag at a succeeding base has to retouch it when returning to his original base after a fly out. Replay officials in New York cleverly ducked having to decide what actually happened in this particular instance.)  Tonight the Dodgers with the second best record in MLB survived a wildcard game with the Cardinals so that they could go to SF on Friday to face the Giants who (by one game) had the best record.  It took a walk off homer to permit the Dodgers to get to the actual playoffs, winning 3-1.  This will be the first time the two teams have faced one another in a playoff series (as opposed to a league championship series).  This will be a best of 5 series.  (It seems odd that the two teams with the best records in MLB will only play a best of 5 series, leaving the victor to play a 7 game series with another team with a lesser record.)  The Dodgers are favored to win, but anything can happen. In fact, the Dodgers are favored to win the World Series at this point.

eta: I should mention that Kenley Jansen was masterful in the ninth striking out 3 of the 4 the Cardinals he faced, setting the table for the Dodgers' victory.

3 hours ago, hollywood said:

It seems odd that the two teams with the best records in MLB will only play a best of 5 series,

The old "anything can happen in a short series." Or is it the old "it's all about pitching a short series?"

Good for the left coast to have two ex-New York turncoats battling it out.

On 10/7/2021 at 3:45 AM, joethefoodie said:

The old "anything can happen in a short series." Or is it the old "it's all about pitching a short series?"

Good for the left coast to have two ex-New York turncoats battling it out.

It's going to be one for the ages for sure. 

• Like 1