I was going to put this in the Farmers' Market thread, since as a hardcore urbanist my main connection with the seasons is through the produce at the Greenmarket.  But I guess it really goes here.

My favorite thing about Spring is the natural hope it gives you for reemerging life.  Again, I mainly experience that with expanding offerings at the Greenmarket, as waves of new items become available each Spring.  They seem to betoken new opportunities.

Last year, though, it was hard to experience it that way.  Cuz even as the new stuff was coming in, new procedural restrictions were being put in place that made it harder and harder to buy it.  It was hard to feel hopeful.  It was hard to feel anything but a sense of impending doom.

But THIS Spring is different.  THIS Spring is like, hopeful with a bullet.

You don't want to move here. Lots of problems here, too, just different ones. 

But today was a good day. I think at least half the snow has already melted (and we had ~25cm over the 2-3 day period) and it was bright and sunny tonight with a beautiful sunset. And as I was out for a walk, I saw two rabbits playing in someone's yard. Rabbit 1 would charge at Rabbit 2, and Rabbit 2 would jump high over Rabbit 1 just in the nick of time. They repeated this game over and over again with Rabbit 1 charging and Rabbit 2 jumping. I would like to have asked them why they never switched roles, but you know, rabbits.

That is how rabbits flirt. :flirt:

I'm always surprised that the herbs make it through winter here. Yesterday there was some commotion outside which turned out to be starlings picking za'atar and oregano, which google tells me they use to construct their nest. Of course this also led to a follow-up question which google answered in the positive, and offered a traditional recipe. 

I'm waiting with planting outdoors after last year's early May snow. 

That makes it even cuter! I'm sure not everyone in my neighborhood would agree, since we have far too many rabbits. But my vegetable garden is in raised plant beds (very raised by accident) so I'm good with that.

Last Mothers' Day, while walking through a wooded area well east of the Twin Cities, we found a large patch of forest floor full of ramps (and bloodroot and trillium). We harvested bunches and planted a couple of patches in a shady spot in the yard. I had sort of decided that they wouldn't winter over well but this year we have two vigorous clumps of ramps. I will resist the urge to harvest any this year but I'm guessing we will be able to harvest a bunch next year.

IMG-4232.jpg

• Like 1