Range - What should I get?

I have dual fuel and its nice. The bummer is while I have nat gas in our barn, I have propane in the house where I do my daily cooking - and I'm not sure if its because of the propane or because they specced the nat gas version not the propane version, but the stove top manages to both not generate enough btu's to boil a decent sized pot in a timely fashion, and is unable to hold a low enough flame to keep things just barely at the boil.  Its great!!

4 minutes ago, Anthony Bonner said:

... but the stove top manages to both not generate enough btu's to boil a decent sized pot in a timely fashion, and is unable to hold a low enough flame to keep things just barely at the boil.  Its great!!

Those are the two things induction does really well. 

33 minutes ago, Anthony Bonner said:

I have dual fuel and its nice. The bummer is while I have nat gas in our barn, I have propane in the house where I do my daily cooking - and I'm not sure if its because of the propane or because they specced the nat gas version not the propane version, but the stove top manages to both not generate enough btu's to boil a decent sized pot in a timely fashion, and is unable to hold a low enough flame to keep things just barely at the boil.  Its great!!

Yeah, that sounds annoying. How do you find out if the stove is configured for the propane?

3 hours ago, Anthony Bonner said:

Should be an easy switch out if it currently has an orifice for natural gas vs. propane. Seems unlikely, though because natural gas has lower BTU per volume than LPG.

My guess is that either your LPG regulator is undersized (water heater also firing when you are using the kitchen, etc) or the gas piping from the tank/regulator to the house is too small.

Back on subject, it's important, at least for our household, to include expected use life in purchases.   Is this an appliance you will be using for as long as it performs for you, or is it an interim piece to work from now until you sell?    As suggested above, assume any buyer will toss whatever you leave, sooner if not later, and will not pay an extra cent for tired upgrades.  If I were planning to bail, I'd never pop for Blue Star or friend when I could get short-term similar performance from something half the price.  

On 4/21/2021 at 11:42 AM, SLBunge said:

Should be an easy switch out if it currently has an orifice for natural gas vs. propane. Seems unlikely, though because natural gas has lower BTU per volume than LPG.

My guess is that either your LPG regulator is undersized (water heater also firing when you are using the kitchen, etc) or the gas piping from the tank/regulator to the house is too small.

I only run the stove off of the propane - everything else is oil.  So its probably the pipes? 

2 hours ago, Anthony Bonner said:

I only run the stove off of the propane - everything else is oil.  So its probably the pipes? 

Probably. Ranges with decent burner sizes have a pretty high demand. Do you seen an impact when you go from one to two burners fully firing?

On 4/21/2021 at 6:17 PM, voyager said:

Back on subject, it's important, at least for our household, to include expected use life in purchases.   Is this an appliance you will be using for as long as it performs for you, or is it an interim piece to work from now until you sell?    As suggested above, assume any buyer will toss whatever you leave, sooner if not later, and will not pay an extra cent for tired upgrades.  If I were planning to bail, I'd never pop for Blue Star or friend when I could get short-term similar performance from something half the price.  

Hence the crap appliances we ended up with.

• 4 months later...

What did you buy @Stone?  Personally I’d say for resale value buyers love wolf and Viking but as everyone else said, that price point doesn’t make sense if you use it for a very short period of time.  Having just purchased an apartment, I would not say that the appliance quality is not reflected in the price, but that generally comes with a kitchen reno as well.  You definitely pay more for nice kitchen, nice appliances.  I think NY coop owners are less likely to want an immediate reno.