• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is another "the perfect is the enemy of the good" example. Because making a vague gesture toward getting rid of one industry is still something. I wonder how much difference there is (if anyway)

Quite the opposite - since the cows only eat antibiotics, the milk never spoils. 

@Steve R. I don’t disagree with your central point. There are things I consciously do in my daily life which I know are trivial but which I hope move the needle.* Perhaps the content (sponsored or otherwise) on alt meat stuff does the same.

It was the recipe thing that dropped my jaw. So maybe I’m just complaining about how this was framed. 

*To be clear, not on this issue.

3 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

There is "follow the money".

I know a struggling farmer fairly well. He raises beef and pork and vegetables. His claim is that if done right, raising beef is not very high on the list of destroying the world. It is politicians that are being bought by big ag to maintain bad policies that are destroying the planet and our health.  He says the only way it changes is to vote them out. Of course until the next crew is bought by big ag. 

11 hours ago, Steve R. said:

"virtue signaling" aint all bad though.  sometimes it sparks off a discussion.  or even minor changes.

Agreed, there's nothing wrong with it. But it's like signing an online petition - looks nice, does very little. Slacktivism.

Yeah - color me skeptical. I'm assuming the main readers of a site like Epicurious are Gen Y and Gen Z, proportionally containing a higher percentage of non-meat eaters than, say, baby boomers or Gen X. What better way to keep them coming back for more?

As Wilf says...

12 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

There are things I consciously do in my daily life which I know are trivial but which I hope move the needle.

He wasn't referring to the meat thing, but I'm on board with this as well. And I was even sillier with it when I first moved to California in the mid-70s; it didn't take me long to realize that my refusal to use paper towels wasn't really going to save the planet. (Now I buy C-folds by the case!)

So, I try to only buy seafood I believe is sustainable; I/we recycle. I/we rescued a cat.  You know - the little things.

9 hours ago, mitchells said:

I know a struggling farmer fairly well. He raises beef and pork and vegetables. His claim is that if done right, raising beef is not very high on the list of destroying the world. It is politicians that are being bought by big ag to maintain bad policies that are destroying the planet and our health.  He says the only way it changes is to vote them out. Of course until the next crew is bought by big ag. 

I mean this might be mostly true, but it will effectively have the same outcome of reducing consumption, as his beef is more expensive to produce than feedlot big ag.

50 minutes ago, Anthony Bonner said:

I mean this might be mostly true, but it will effectively have the same outcome of reducing consumption, as his beef is more expensive to produce than feedlot big ag.

Domestic consumption has been falling for many decades, and will continue to decline. Coupled with an almost unbelievable increase in carcass size there are way fewer cows around. Of course this will be far more than offset by increased demand in Brazil, China, and in a couple of decades much of Africa and central Asia. That's why the only meaningful action is global. 

What are the implications of the long-term trend in steer carcass weights?  | Beef Magazine

3 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

So, no beef in their recipes, but recipes with cow's milk, butter and cheese are OK? Hmmmmmm...

This is another "the perfect is the enemy of the good" example. Because making a vague gesture toward getting rid of one industry is still something. I wonder how much difference there is (if anyway) between raising beef cattle and raising dairy cattle, as far as environmental impact goes.

• Like 1