Jump to content

WHY I HATE VIDEO AND LOVE THE WRITTEN WORD


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, small h said:

And some written recipes are. I have proved this pretty recently!

https://origin-www.marthastewart.com/1122225/linguine-shrimp-and-spinach

Yep - clueless and probably cutting costs by not testing the recipes under real, home conditions.

This is why recipes are good for ideas, general guidelines, etc. Not necessarily for cooking. And it's why I tend to return to the tried and true books when perusing for ideas; Jacques, Julia, Marcella, et al. Writing books for home cooks before people could pop online and do "research."

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I want a Sam Sifton video showing us how to improvise like a jazz master. I'm imagining him leaning over the stove top dropping random ingredients in random places, a bit like Jackson Pollock.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

I want a Sam Sifton video showing us how to improvise like a jazz master. I'm imagining him leaning over the stove top dropping random ingredients in random places, a bit like Jackson Pollock.

The deal breaker here is random.   While jazz and art may appear to the beholder as having been randomly created, I'd hazard that much more often the artist has a considered plan based on desired goal.   I may look like I'm practicing snatch and grab from stove-side seasonings but experience allows me to put a dish together without referring to a book or screen.     Not random at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You are right, I was just being snarky at Sifton.

Although if I wanted to be pedantic, I'd suggest that in many cases there isn't "a desired goal" but an outcome that emerges as a consequence of a series of decisions. I think that's especially true of jazz and some kinds of art, and it also makes me think Sifton's analogy with cooking is strained. A cook usually knows what dish they are trying to make, although of course the route by which they get there can vary. I don't believe Pollock knew what picture he was trying to paint until it was painted.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

 I don't believe Pollock knew what picture he was trying to paint until it was painted.

Didn't want to say that, but...    I like to think that all art is intentional, however it probably evolves from experimentation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

This is why recipes are good for ideas, general guidelines, etc. Not necessarily for cooking. And it's why I tend to return to the tried and true books when perusing for ideas; Jacques, Julia, Marcella, et al. Writing books for home cooks before people could pop online and do "research."

Trying to reconcile all this, is what you're saying that you think you can only fuck around once you're very familiar with a cuisine?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...