WHY I HATE VIDEO AND LOVE THE WRITTEN WORD

3 minutes ago, voyager said:

Didn't want to say that, but...    I like to think that all art is intentional, however it probably evolves from experimentation.

It could be that your intention is to employ the process.

30 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

Trying to reconcile all this, is what you're saying that you think you can only fuck around once you're very familiar with a cuisine?

I think you can fuck around with anything, familiar or not.  Whether it will resemble the cuisine (if one is trying to cook, say, Thai Food) of what you're attempting to cook is a whole different story, no?  

I still find the America's Test Kitchen videos/TV programs very helpful, and they explain a lot, including the science behind the results.  I can see a novice cook finding it easy to follow along and pick up techniques.  Heck, N and I have picked up technique tips, and we're hardly kitchen newbies.

In contrast, I have a lot of cookbooks that assume the cook already knows how to do X, Y, and Z.

22 hours ago, voyager said:

Didn't want to say that, but...    I like to think that all art is intentional, however it probably evolves from experimentation.

Oh yes, intentional for the most part: I am just suggesting that for many painters, each brushstroke (or drip) is a response to previous strokes (and drips) rather than in pursuit of a finished picture they can "see in their mind's eye." Obviously that doesn't apply to painting a conventional portrait or still life. (I am fascinated by this stuff.)

Pollock reminds me of two lost "art" opportunities.    Husband had a grey sweatshirt that he wore for messy household chores like painting.   The front morphed through many projects and became quite interesting, actually quite beautiful.   And there was the central panel on the basement door, on which he'd wipe a brush.   It also was at one time something I could frame and hang with pride.   But we never called it quits on either one while at their prime and they both became simply paint rags and muddy blobs.  

• 5 months later...