New York Michelin Stars 2021

I think this is good commentary from Ryan Sutton on the just-released new rankings. It all seems kind of meaningless in the context of the past 14 months, when many of these restaurants were either closed or not offering full service.

Personally, I found reading the list to be a strange experience. It feels like years since I've been to most of the places on the list -- and it probably is. I also reflect yet again that you don't have to be very good to get one Michelin star in New York.

It was funny that instead of complaining about Michelin being all French, and then French or Japanese, now he has to complain that it´s all French, Italian, Korean, or Japanese while other cuisines that have been represented by cheap noodle and rice dishes only get a red bib. 

eta: and isn't Vestry New Australian?

His assertion that the cuisine at cheaper places "is often no less ambitious or labor intensive" then at traditional highly starred restaurants is patent bullshit.  And what about ingredient quality?

1 hour ago, Sneakeater said:

His assertion that the cuisine at cheaper places "is often no less ambitious or labor intensive" then at traditional highly starred restaurants is patent bullshit.  And what about ingredient quality?

It is the mantra of "ingredient quality" as it justifies three figure meal pricing that I question.    A few questions: just how much better are these ingredients than those we get at half the price in some of SF's mid-range restaurants, (Statebird, The Morris, la Ciccia, even Sorrel), and are we talking about provenance, freshness, interest or are we demanding esoteric/exotic stuffs (smoked Estonian sturgeon gills)?

29 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

Vestry was nice, it’s not a European one star.

Our worst meals/experiences/evenings in recent memory have been in French Michelin one stars.  

14 hours ago, voyager said:

Our worst meals/experiences/evenings in recent memory have been in French Michelin one stars.  

So just think even worse and more expensive. 

• Like 1