Manresa at Intersect by Lexus

That's why they apologized so profusely, and offered to reschedule, when they COULDN'T seat me at the counter as per my reservation, even though I obviously still was going to get the tasting menu I had pre-ordered and paid for.

They knew I wanted both counter seating AND the exemplary menu.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looking at all the photos available, two people finish and plate this dish on different nights, one of whom folds shirts like I do and the other like Sivan does.

I guess that's what joe meant. The me, it's "the same" dish.  It's just that someone was allowing plates to leave the kitchen that never should have been allowed out.

I ran into Kinch at the greenmarket today and he told me the (unexpectedly long) run of "Manresa" is finally ending and that tomorrow there's a one night event of "Bywater" (which oddly is a tasting m

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

If I'm reading right, one was on a regular night when both Kinch and Martinez were there.  And the other was on a regular night when NEITHER Kinch nor Martinez was there.

NEITHER doesn't sound like a tenable concept.  

It shouldn't be untenable.  When Kinch isn't around and Martinez is heading the kitchen himself (as in fact he nominally was the night Wilf went -- Kinch apparently had already decamped for California by then), Martinez gets to take a night off now and again.  No one expects the Executive Chef of a restaurant to be there every single night.

If the kitchen fell apart in Martinez's absence, that is a MAJOR failure.  It's inexecusable for a restaurant kitchen to be dysfunctional when the head chef isn't there.

18 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

It shouldn't be untenable.  When Kinch isn't around and Martinez is heading the kitchen himself (as in fact he nominally was the night Wilf went -- Kinch apparently had already decamped for California by then), Martinez gets to take a night off now and again.  No one expects the Executive Chef of a restaurant to be there every single night.

If the kitchen fell apart in Martinez's absence, that is a MAJOR failure.  It's inexecusable for a restaurant kitchen to be dysfunctional when the head chef isn't there.

My badly worded point.

13 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Yes, Kinch had already left, but the kitchen was being run by a big, burly guy with longish hair and a beard. No sign of Martinez.

I wouldn't say the kitchen fell apart, but dirty lettuce is inexcusable. As for the duck, serving it so undercooked it needs to be chewed forever is widespread practice.

18 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

Yes, Kinch had already left, but the kitchen was being run by a big, burly guy with longish hair and a beard. No sign of Martinez.

I wouldn't say the kitchen fell apart, but dirty lettuce is inexcusable. As for the duck, serving it so undercooked it needs to be chewed forever is widespread practice.

Right - whether it's a $25 lunch special during restaurant week, or on a $200 tasting menu, dirty gritty greens are not allowable!

Your point about the duck - which we've discussed before (I'm also a non-lover of undercooked, rare duck for the reasons mentioned, and why I always order it at least medium) - is one thing; another is that you were served it cold!

14 hours ago, voyager said:

Excellent point.  Was one by chance on the "friends of the house" opening?     I am reminded of Plotz' famous Alinea frog pond debacle.  

Looking at all the photos available, two people finish and plate this dish on different nights, one of whom folds shirts like I do and the other like Sivan does.

• Like 2

Given everyone's thoughts so far, I'm considering canceling my Thursday night non-tasting menu reservation and spending the money at a consistent old favorite that I haven't been to in years, like Frenchette or Estela. It doesn't sound that great for what will likely be a $300 meal.

1 hour ago, sweatshorts said:

Given everyone's thoughts so far, I'm considering canceling my Thursday night non-tasting menu reservation and spending the money at a consistent old favorite that I haven't been to in years, like Frenchette or Estela. It doesn't sound that great for what will likely be a $300 meal.

I mentioned this exact thing to a friend, who basically thought I was nuts (and it wasn't Estela or Frenchette I was going to change to).