@Steve R. ALERT:  amazing chicken dish here!

Qanoon is a home-style Palestinian restaurant that opened in Chelsea soon before last year's Big Closure.  I had really wanted to eat there.  But intervening circumstances prevented me from visiting until April (and I've since returned).  Which, given current events, awkwardly makes my eating there -- and my wildly favorable support of the restaurant -- seem like a political statement.  But while that's a political statement I'd be happy to make, I try to keep my restaurant choices distinct from my views of world politics.  So I want to emphasize that this is just an excellent restaurant:  you don’t have to be anti-Zionist to love Qanoon.

The proffer here is Palestinian home cooking.  This isn't wildly different from other Middle Eastern food -- but it's subtly different.  In terms specifically of Palestinian, all I have to compare it to is Tanoreen.  I'd say that while Tanoreen's menu is broader, the execution here is even better than Tanoreen's.  To be blunt, I LOVE the food at Qanoon.

There are two superstar dishes I want to point out:  among the best dishes now available in New York, as far as I'm concerned.

The first is Muhammara.  This is a pomegranate/walnut/other stuff spread served with lots of pita that (a) doesn't taste like you'd expect from the ingredients and (b) doesn't taste quite like anything else you've ever had but (c) is fucking delicious.  You can eat this with one of their otherwise undistinguished cocktails and be very happy.

The second is Musakhan.  This is chicken roasted with tons and tons of sumac, served over a flatbread (obvs there's lots of other stuff in there, too).  I have to say that, with the demise of the EMP chicken, this may well be the best chicken dish in New York right now.  You would not believe how good this is:  how juicy the chicken, how flavorful the tons of sumac.  When the owner passed by and I told him how much I was loving this dish, he started explaining how long they brine the chicken.  "You just have to look at it to know THAT," I responded.  You'll see.  This chicken isn't just moist, it's MOIST.

The wine list, happily, focuses on wines of the region:  Palestinian wines, which (to be kind) vary.  Lebanese wines, which as we know are the shit.  Greek wines, cuz why not?

I think this place is the nurts.

6 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

he second is Musakhan.  This is chicken roasted with tons and tons of sumac, served over a flatbread (obvs there's lots of other stuff in there, too).  I have to say that, with the demise of the EMP chicken, this may well be the best chicken dish in New York right now.  You would not believe how good this is:  how juicy the chicken, how flavorful the tons of sumac.  When the owner passed by and I told him how much I was loving this dish, he started explaining how long they brine the chicken.  "You just have to look at it to know THAT," I responded.  You'll see.  This chicken isn't just moist, it's MOIST.

If you're going to try to re-create this home look at the book Falastin. There's a recipe in there.

I had that reaction to the name too. I used to work about two blocks from there (remember offices?).

What was that good Palestinian restaurant down Bay Ridge way?

5 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

I looked and I thought it said Q-Anon.  Not necessarily the greatest choice for a name.

I thought it was just my politics-addled brain but apparently not!

I remember cringing a bit when coverage (on eater?) explained it's a "creative" spelling of kanoon, which I guess is as creative as the spelling of Irak, Katar and all those other ق words.

Funnily, when Qanoon opened in early 2020 (or late 2019, whatevs), some people made jokes about its name resembling Qanon.  And I was like, "what's Qanon?"

Ridin’ in a Stutz Bearcat, Jim:  you know that those were different times.

Of course, I'm not mature enough not to note:

14 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

@Steve R. In terms specifically of Palestinian, all I have to compare it to is Tanoreen.  I'd say that while Tanoreen's menu is broader, the execution here is even better than Tanoreen's. 

Bothering me is no bother (or something like that).  Although we haven't been to Tanoreen since before the plague struck (maybe a year before), the last 2 or 3 visits didn't impress me.  If we make it into the outer borough of Manhattan for dinner, Q-Anon sounds like a possibility.  Is the chicken cooked with a Jewish space laser?