In the current summer issue of Esquire, the editors run down a list of the 27 best bars in the US.  If you care, this could be a basis for debate.  Are the best bars in NYC, 67 Orange Street, Double Chicken Please and Decibel?  Brooklyn's Hunky Dory somehow gets listed separately.  Regardless, at the end of the issue the editors salute The Airport Bar (any and all of them) as sort of dependable in their uncoolness.  Made me wish I was taking a flight somewhere (sigh).

You can actually get find some good regional bars in airports if you choose carefully and happen to be in the right terminal.  I had a wonderful beer at Stone Brewery's bar in the San Diego airport (got to take home a bottle too).  SFO has an outpost of the Buena Vista Cafe (I did have an Irish coffee there), and a Trader Vic's just opened in the San Jose airport.

7 hours ago, hollywood said:

I thought all the Trader Vic's locations had closed.

Everything old is new again.

We have a little tradition (I should say "had") of hitting the airport bar, closest to our gate, when leaving on vacation. (And we're probably not the only ones). Since we like to fly late, that particular bar usually has people drinking who will be on the same flight, and we've met a few interesting souls that way. The double is always offered for like an extra dollar, so why not? I can generally find a reliable bourbon to sip with a soda back.

I like uncool bars. Sadly, some of them were so uncool they became cool. Or something like that.

• Like 1

I fondly recall the boondoggle days when people paid for me to travel in a class that gave me access to airport clubs. Got through a lot of champagne that way.

And no, those are not the best bars in New York. I am going to have to google Double Chicken Please.

...Oh, the old Hill and Dale, Mary Queen of Scots etc space.

Huh. I liked Hill/Mary alright, especially the back room, which was very peaceful. Can't imagine it's morphed into the best anything, though.

Decibel certainly gets points for staying power. And being below street level. Everybody loves a below-street-level bar. That's what made 151 Rivington cool.

hunky dory has a $20 grilled cheese, which is probably a sign of something extraordinary. the chef worked at torst when the food was better. (not the luksus dude.)

Meanwhile, Conde Nast Traveler informs that the nine best rooftop bars in NYC are Harriet's Rooftop & Lounge, Le Bain, Magic Hour Rooftop Bar & Lounge, The Crown, Greenpoint Beer & Ale Co., Berry Park, Upstairs at the Kimberly, Cantina Rooftop and A.R.T. NoMad.

I sense that New Yorkers are a thirsty bunch.

21 hours ago, hollywood said:

I thought all the Trader Vic's locations had closed.

Nope, the one in Emeryville (just north of Oakland) is still going.

I did get to go to the one in the Beverly Hills Hilton eons ago.

That was eons ago.  There had previously been a full fledged restaurant in Century City.  There was also a sister Mexican restaurant (Senor Pico) in Century City as well.  I think the last Trader Vic's in Greater LA was a small bar in the mall opposite Staples Center.  It was not there long.