• 1 month later...

A couple of you have asked if I've had any recent feedback on restaurant and cultural action in Paris this summer.   The answer now is a resounding YES.   Reports back on decent weather, lack of tourists, uncrowded museum openings, restaurants back in stride serving stunning menus.   Not one negative experience reported so far.      These reports by a professional wine guy who also knows his food.

Wine's his DOC.   But seriously, this guy is one of the most solid and sane I know, often a practicing paranoid, who maybe just by chance was able to take advantage of a moderately safe and calm window between outbreaks.   Who knows?    But his appraisal of a dozen or so heretofore reliable and several new restaurants is very reassuring.  Covid spacing, masking well respected, batting close to 1000 on food and wine.   They do have an apartment, so lodging isn't sketchy, and they're in a area where they can walk to many desirable restaurants.      

Trimmed down menus, reduced hours, empty seats is the reality. Tourists are welcome but so far they're not coming. 

It's one thing that civilians can book dinner at Septime online, but that they can do it for tonight... 

image.thumb.png.4c7fbc91b8ad3b2846be59250b8233d3.png

I  actually haven't heard of anyone's going to Septime in years.    But your point is well taken.

O and I are looking at different sides of the elephant.   What I have been trying to describe is a boots on the ground experience of Paris at this stage of the pandemic.    AT THIS POINT there is civilized indoor dining,  Well conceived menus and apparently top quality plates.  The reality, the bonus is that, yes, there are few tourists so you dine and visit museums with locals and at spur of the moment.  

Regardless of who the people are who go there these days, it's certainly novel that they'd make dinner tables available online. 

And of course what someone might experience as a civilized room and a well conceived menu is possibly an exercise in futility from the restaurant's side. 

We continue to receive reports of excellent meals and wines surrounding inspiring musee and gallery shows.   The only downside is recent increase in tourists and (possibly resulting) 2-3 week waits for dinner reservations.