I recently made a trip to the Lower Rio Grande Valley, where I had a chance to get traditional barbacoa--cooked in a pit with mesquite coals, rather than being braised or steamed stovetop or in an oven. This was at Vera's Backyard BBQ in Brownsville. (Photos and description can be found at THIS LINK.) The people there led me to believe that this is the only place left in Texas that still does pit-style barbacoa.

Do any of you know of other places in Texas that do real barbacoa?

Thanks.

Scott

Did you not get to Progreso?

Not on that weekend. I did go to La Fogata a couple of weeks later. Another report (with photos) will be coming, if I can find some free time. (Thanks, again, for your recommendations.)

And have you ever been to El Rincon del Viejo in Nuevo Laredo?

Yes. As a matter of fact, I'll be in Laredo/Nuevo Laredo this coming weekend for their annual (unbelievably huge) celebration of George Washington's birthday. The jalapeno festival is also that weekend. I'll definitely be hitting El Rincon del Viejo while I'm down there.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Jaymes,

I just posted a REPORT that includes a dinner at La Fogata in Nuevo Progreso. My appetizer was "cabeza de cabrito."

lafogatacabecita.jpg

I wish I could say I enjoyed it. But, apart from the tongue (of which there were only a couple of small bites), most of the cabeza was pretty poor tasting. My entree of grilled lamb ribs (with baked potato and frijoles charros) was much, much better, though--enough to salvage the meal. Was it La Fogata's frijoles charros recipe that you were able to get? If so, I'd definitely like to get that from you. Very tasty beans.

As for barbacoa, I made more enquiries on the return trip to the Valley, but wasn't able to turn up any new leads. It looks like Vera's (in Brownsville) may be the last man standing.

Scott

My entree of grilled lamb ribs (with baked potato and frijoles charros) was much, much better, though--enough to salvage the meal. Was it La Fogata's frijoles charros recipe that you were able to get? If so, I'd definitely like to get that from you. Very tasty beans.

Yep.

At La Fogata, we usually get the "mixed grill" with a variety of salsas, and some queso fundido, and those wonderful Charro Beans.

Haven't ever tried the cabrito there.