Ambo: Indian Take Out on 8th Street

1 hour ago, Orik said:

Why isn't Canadian food widely available then? 

'Cause our Northern border is sealed shut, so Canadians can't move here and open restaurants.

I can't tell the difference between non-indigenous Canadian food and non-indigenous American food. (Or perhaps between n-i Canadian and n-i Minnesotan-American food. It's all rutabaga, burgers, casseroles, and fruit pies.)

12 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Cuz Anglo-Canadian food isn't that different, and French-Canadian food is um French?

Eh. QC cuisine is so far from French that it's trivial to open a distinctly QC place at every level from The Pouting Poutine to a San Pellegrino restaurant.

P.s. Remember when impoverished sugarmakers cross-border skied here and flooded the northeast with cheap tourtière huts? You had to ask to see the foot every time when they told you "rabbit"... and then they started opening Vancouver style places because everyone wanted that but the cooks were still from the laurentians so everything was full of maple and fat...

But do they think it's French, or just NBC? Of course it's easier to confuse European-American cuisines with each other than with Mexican or Chinese, but if you were tasked with opening an overtly QC restaurant in nyc I am sure nobody would mistake your menu for French, or for American (also read through the Joe Beef book and see how many recipes (1) could never be served here (2) could never be made here (3) are really far from French). 

text

Whoa, snail in a hole is a brilliant idea. M Wells menu is a lot shorter than I remember.

My recollection, which is way out of date, is that higher end Montreal French restaurants were pretty French (going back long before Joe Beef). Maybe not any more.

I think of Vancouver style as seafood restaurants, but I haven't been there in a while either.

Yeah people are swimming across the St. Lawrence Seaway to escape a good economy, a functioning government, deeply embedded liberal democratic values, and universal health care. 

On 7/15/2021 at 8:41 AM, Sneakeater said:

How many people who go to M Wells do you think even KNOW it’s a Canadian restaurant?

all of them? How can you escape knowing it?

also why is there an entire thread on a fast casual quick serve NYU student place?